1984 Buick Electra Park Avenue Oldmobile 307 (V8) from North America

Summary:

Very comfortable and reliable car

I had the following repairs done on the car while it was in my possession:

- Fuel pump and one of the fuel pipes -- one of the prior owners dinged the pipe up working on it really bad, and it was impeding fuel delivery.

- Heater core. I caught it well before it dumped anti freeze on me by a slight maple syrupy smell.

- New starter and starter wiring.

- New battery.

- It was imported from Canada and the engine had no emissions stuff, so I had to get an EGR value installed to pass emissions.

- Carburetor work -- after replacing the fuel pump and pipe, the carburetor need a complete re-adjustment.

- Front tie rod.

- The A/C worked, but not long before it was totaled, the A/C compressor locked up, which caused coolant to dump out. My mechanic removed the belt and replaced the other belt with a fatter belt to keep it from breaking and reduce belt squeal. I was about to get a new compressor so I could get my A/C working again, but I was rear ended at a stop light by an '89 Suburban.

General Comments:

I'm not really sure of the original mileage, but I think I got it with 300k. I put 200k on the car, and while I did have some issues, it really was a very good car. And in great overall condition for a car its age too! It was totaled in 2009 with I believe 500k on it, and still did not burn a drop of oil!

The car got rear ended three times. First time was a minivan and the second time was a Subaru. They messed up the front of their car, but all I had to do was get a crowbar and pull out my rear-bumper.

The third time, the rear end of the frame folded in and it took the exhaust out as well. I replaced it with a 2005 Cadillac STS.

The Buick was a great car. It had the most comfortable seats that I have ever sat in, by far. As a Park Avenue trim, it had the extra padding on top of the seats, and the seats were more comfortable than my living room couch!

I also upgraded the audio system to the top grade components. I got a really good deal on the speakers, subwoofer and head unit, and I won a used Memphis Belle amplifier on a poorly worded eBay ad for nearly free. I could have entered the car into shows for the audio -- and possibly won!

I wish GM still made quality cars like this. The fact is I owned a Cadillac CTS for one year and only put about 12k on it, and had far more repairs to that car than I had on the Buick in just short of 200k miles, and each repair was more expensive as well. I would consider another old Buick if I did not move and need all wheel drive, but I would not consider any post bankruptcy era GM car again.

I got a combined around 19.5 MPG on this car as well.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2015

5th Aug 2015, 12:16

The reason you had so few repairs on this 80s car, and so many repairs on your 2000s car was simply this: the older technology was better technology.

6th Aug 2015, 04:12

I used to own an 85 Buick LeSabre Limited, which is a very similar car, and I loved it!

The plush pillowtop seats were second to none for comfort, and I have driven/ridden in many luxury cars over the years. It also had a smooth as butter drivetrain, good highway fuel economy, and was incredibly quiet inside. Needless to say I miss that old beast, and would buy another in a heartbeat!

7th Aug 2015, 02:22

With all the computer controlled technology and sensors etc on modern cars, there's more to go wrong.

7th Aug 2015, 05:00

My dad always owned Buicks for the most part. When I was younger he owned an '82 Electra (4 door) followed by the similar '85 LeSabre (2 door) with a sunroof. Both cars had loaded interiors, smooth rides and great reliability. The LeSabre was kept for 6 years and had over 100k without any problems at all. Both had the Olds 307, but the Electra had more power due to the better cylinder heads, which were changed in '85.