2004 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Great road car

I have had the car for over 2.5 years and have had very little issues.

I had some minor issues with the Transmission that cost around $600.

The brakes have worn exceptionally and just replaced the original front rotors because I thought that they must need them at 150,000, back are still original.

3.8 is peppy and gets me up to speed.

I get 29 MPG at 74 and around 34 at 60 for long trips.

I got a 2003 Impala with the 3.8 for my wife because of the non issues.

Shame they are not using the engine any more.

Put on Assurance triple tread and helped a lot with the handling.

General Comments:

Lacks in style makes up in durability and comfort.

Review Date: 14th August, 2007

16th Aug 2007, 18:45

The 3.8 is still available at Buick optionally on the LaCrosse (at least it was for 2007). I disagree with your comment about the LeSabre's style. I think that the previous LeSabre and Park Avenue were far more attractive than the replacemnet Lucerne. I am not alone in this opinion, I personally know several other Buick owners who are turned off by the Lucerne's looks. I assume Buick's sagging sales are largely due to this, which is sad considering how faithful Buick buyers are.

2004 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 from North America

Well I've driven the car for less than 1000km and the "service engine soon" light came on this morning. It was -18*C, with a wind chill that made it feel like -30, so maybe I should give it a break. The light didn't come on later in the evening. I'm still going to have it checked out.

Besides that the driver's window motor is pretty weak and sticks when wet.

General Comments:

Great fuel economy on the highway. So-so in the city.

Is Buick the last automotive company to make really comfortable seats. Leather is in great condition.

Interior is laid out intuitively, excepting the hazard button, which was hidden behind the steering wheel at the top. (Different from my GMC van and Infiniti G20.) Lacks the catchy styling found in nicer imports, but isn't cheap looking like a lot of the competition.

Quiet. There's little road or wind noise.

Exterior is very forgettable, which is exactly what I wanted. You'll draw very few looks from pretty girls... and police.

Acceleration is delayed, but powerful. Its almost like there's 2-second forgiveness clause that doesn't allow the engine to blast ahead in case some poor old guy's foot slipped. After the 2 seconds is gone... it tears off. Very smooth acceleration. There's oodles of power for highway passing.

The armrest lifts to form a bench. Very romantic. (=

Review Date: 5th February, 2007

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited V6 from North America

Summary:

Very dependable, good engine and fuel efficient for its size.

Minor; Headlights on demand w/windshield wiper are dysfunctional; the headlights stay on all the time; appears to be a LeSabre line problem, not just my vehicle.

General Comments:

In 4k miles and 4 months, appears to be a well put together vehicle; of course, it is built on the same Cadillac Seville plant and has been produced for 4 yrs. so it should be.

Review Date: 12th June, 2004

11th Oct 2009, 10:46

I have also noticed a lot of LeSabres with their headlights on in the daytime (not the daytime running lights). I am surprised that you had this problem when the car was so new. I assumed that the light sensors wore out, but that is very unlikely in a car that is less than 1 year old. I had the opposite problem with my '05 Park Avenue, my lights weren't coming on until it was almost completely dark outside. I had the twilight sentinel sensor replaced. The automatic lights are much better now, but not nearly as good as my '99 Park Avenue.