1998 Buick Park Avenue Base 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable, thrill-less drive, that doesn't take money out of your wallet

One coil pack.

A slow up and down driver's window.

Broken door handle.

Driver's seat control board broken.

Gas hand doesn't work.

Driver's seat warmer doesn't work (light says it's on, but no heat).

General Comments:

I bought this car a little over 3 years ago, and it has been phenomenal! It had a salvage title due to some front end damage that had been repaired by time of purchase.

I've driven it a bit over 90K miles, and the only mechanical thing to go wrong is a bad coil pack, which was a little less than $100 to repair.

Driver's door handle broke, which again, was a little less than $100.

The driver's seat control block wasn't thought out very well, and it broke away from the seat. I simply had a few screws put in it, and it has held fine since. That repair was $60.

The car gives me an average of 27 MPG, drives straight as a board, is comfortable (I'm right at 6'4), and starts every time! It does not drip a drop of oil either! I really believe the car will give me another 100K miles as long as I take care of it. Even the stereo system is on par with today's stereos.

The only "con" on the car is, it seems to struggle under heavy acceleration, but I don't have to accelerate like that often, and it's enough to do what I have to do. Other than that, it's almost a perfect automobile, that continues to go.

Review Date: 12th September, 2018

1998 Buick Park Avenue Base 3.8L L36 V6 from North America

Summary:

The best car I have ever owned

Cracked windshield - a branch fell on it in a storm.

Battery terminals.

Driver's door handle twice.

Driver's window motor.

Driver's heated seat - never fixed.

Passenger door handle - never replaced.

Water pump at 215k.

Driver's side brake line around 255k - 260k; the reason I got rid of the car.

General Comments:

Out of the 4 vehicles I have owned, the others being a 1992 Geo Storm, 1987 Ford F150 5.0 and a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo LS, this is by far the best and I will definitely be buying another GM G Body car in the future.

The only major maintenance I had to perform in the 130k miles I owned it was replace the water pump. That is outstanding reliability considering I owned this car from age 16-19 and I beat the living heck out of it.

The 3800 Series II is the best engine ever made in my opinion; it always started in these brutal Minnesota winters and never left me stranded once. It was also a sleeper to an extent while still getting a 30 MPG average in summer and 24 in winter.

Rode like a cloud, but that air ride suspension got a bit too bouncy at times and it did not corner very well, although it did drift nicely on gravel due to its weight.

I gave it away to my brother in Feb 2016 with 261k because I couldn't afford a full set of tires which it badly needed or fix the brake line that broke, so he fixed those and then sold it to his buddy who is still driving it today with around 330k. Everyone should get a chance to own a G Body.

Review Date: 10th January, 2017

1998 Buick Park Avenue 3.8L from North America

Summary:

Excellent car, great MPG, comfortable

The lower intake gaskets went out, but that's very common with this engine in the earlier years (1997-2000). The job is easy enough to do. I replaced 1 coil pack. Keep in mind this car is still running great with 282,000 miles. I bought it from the original owner, and he never had anything other than a radiator and an alternator replaced in 242,000 miles.

The leather seats have cracked.

General Comments:

I love the space in this car, coupled with the fact that it gets pretty darn fine gas mileage, and has enough power to not leave you wanting when it comes time to pass. The trunk is huge, and the interior is very comfortable.

The thing I like best about it is all the standard options that these have. Mine has a sunroof & rain sensing wipers. I put some tasteful 18" 5 spoke wheels on the car, and I tell ya, it goes from being a senior citizen cruiser, to a good looking whale of a car. Its styling is sleek and classy, without being overboard.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2012

22nd Nov 2012, 22:49

Great review about a great car.

24th Nov 2012, 12:01

I will never quit saying this, but it is a shame that Buick quit making this model and cars like it. I had 2; a '99 and an '05, and I especially loved the '05. That car was so attractive, and rode as smooth as any car in the last 20 years. I think GM just had a perfect car in the Park Avenue. Right size, right looks, right comfort, and efficient to boot. The new Buicks are just so much cheaper (except the Enclave) in my opinion. Sure, they appeal more to the younger crowd, but that isn't saying much!

21st May 2013, 13:38

UPDATE: My car now has 289,000 miles, and still running strong. The original muffler, wheel bearing and front struts only lasted 280,000+ miles, I'll never buy another Buick again!!! (sarcasm emphasized).

The body is starting to show some rust, but again, with these many miles and being 15 years old, as well as being a Wisconsin car, I'm not the least bit surprised. I love this car.

I forgot to mention that this car seats 6, unless you get an "Ultra" edition that has the center console. The best mileage I've ever gotten was on a 125 miles trip with the wind at my back, I got 35.1 MPG, and the worst I've gotten is 21.