2001 Chevrolet Avalanche Review

2001 Chevrolet Avalanche 5.8 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carJeep Wrangler

Summary:

A great idea, but poor execution

First thing, the removable rear window frame had pulled apart. I noticed this on day 2. I returned to the dealer and they grabbed a replacement from another on the lot. Thing is we had to go through 4 or 5 vehicles before we found one that wasn't broken.

From the beginning the CD player has sporadically spit out the CD with an error. Now after a year its getting worse.

The 4th time I started a big cloud of smoke blew out of the tailpipe. This has happened another 4 or 5 times over the life of the vehicle.

Burns oil. Any significant road trip (> 100 miles) I make sure to bring a quart of oil. I'm guaranteed to use it.

The transmission is squirrelly. It hesitates when starting off. Given the large turning radius, if I have to make a 3-point turn I can't shift between F and R very fast. I have to wait a second before the transmission registers.

General Comments:

I love the design of this vehicle! The problem is that Chevy came up with it. Switching from truck to SUV is great, the cabin is large and comfortable. If only the mechanics were up to par. Maybe after a few model years.

Review Date: 1st March, 2003

6th Apr 2004, 06:16

If this is true, it's very rare. The AV is a quality built vehicle. I've had my 2003 for one year now, and can't find any reason to complain. It's the best in every way!

If you really want to get a feel for the AV, explore the AV website created by and supported by AV owners:

On the site you'll find a few others who experienced problems such as yours. The procedures to resolve the issues are spelled out there. Good luck.

Average review marks: 7.0 / 10, based on 1 review