1999 Chevrolet C1500 Reviews

1999 Chevrolet C1500 Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 5.3 vortec from North America

Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 5.3 vortec Automatic

Summary:

Piece of crap, never a Chevy again

Engine replacement at 3500 miles: antifreeze in oil, dealer never found the problem, wanted to clean and install the same engine, told him to take a long walk off a short pier. Had to contact GM Canada for any action, but I got it covered off PLUS 1 month of rental vehicle cost. Got a new engine.

Throttle body used to stick. GM repair notic, not covered under warranty, replacement part installed at dealership.

ABS came on even with ignition off, replaced for $900.

CV joint seals replaced, set for second replacement set (not going to do it, going to buy a Toyota instead).

Autotrac selector switch malfunction: dealer replacement at $200, after threatening to blow up dealership (not literally), dealer knocked $80 off that repair.

Three alternators, three batteries, etc.

General Comments:

Piece of crap, going Japanese for my next truck.

Review Date: 20th April, 2009

1999 Chevrolet C1500 LS 5.7L Vortex from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 5.7L Vortex Automatic
Previous carGMC Pickup

At 37000 noticed a coolant leak at the front of the motor. I checked all the hoses in the area of leak all were OK. I now think it is coming from the gasket on the intake.

At around 38000 my oil pan started to leak a little probably nothing to worry about except this my baby I'm talking about and I don't like seeing it wetting itself.

Also noticed oil or transmission fluid dripping from the bellhousing. The guys at work give me a hard time about never driving my truck. They tell me to get it out of the garage more or the seals and gasket will go bad, now I think they may be right.

General Comments:

Overall this truck is great.

Review Date: 14th August, 2003

15th Mar 2008, 19:21

Ya, blame the victim. That's nice how they say it's your fault. I wonder if they have to tell stories like that at the Toyota garage. I'm a Chevy guy too with over 365,000 miles on my Silverado and I don't tolerate any leaks either.