1974 Chevrolet Caprice Reviews

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Convertible 400 from North America

Year of manufacture1974
Engine and transmission 400 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

Very reliable and stylish

Nothing. One of the most dependable 70s era cars.

General Comments:

I converted the factory points, condenser, coil ignition with the HEI High energy Ignition set-up that was stock in 1975. It made a world of difference in the performance of the car. And was really easy to do. A great American car.

Review Date: 8th December, 2008

1974 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Custom Coupe 400 V8 from North America

Model year1974
Year of manufacture1974
Engine and transmission 400 V8 Automatic
Most recent distance212000 miles
Previous carChevrolet LUV

Summary:

I would trust this car to a trip around the world!

Fan Clutch froze up-$20 part

Transmission replaced at 196K

Engine Replaced at 180K.

General Comments:

I absolutely love this car, it was the first car I ever bought, and I will never sell it. It has performed trouble free service since I got it on September 10, 2001. Even though it has been beat up over the years, the body is still solid, and rides like a dream, and maneuvers quickly, if sometimes a bit sensitive. The engine had been replaced at 180K from what the owner told me, and he replace it with a 355, which, with dual exhaust, gets up and goes, much better than it ever would have with the 170hp 400 it originally had. I have driven it cross country twice, incident free, besides the fan clutch seizing in Oklahoma, on my way to Minnesota. She also gets 18 mpg on the freeway!

Review Date: 17th December, 2005

18th Dec 2005, 19:21

I am so jealous... my first car was a 1971 Caprice hardtop sedan. Ocean Blue with Navy Vinyl top. 402 big block engine. 7 mpg city/7mpg hiway. I LOVED that car. Unfortunately, it was very rusty from the beginning and eventually was too unsafe to drive. Her name was Betsy. I still miss her very much. Enjoy your Caprice.