1965 Chevrolet Chevelle 230 6 cylinder (straight) from North America

One of the best 4 door cars GM has ever made

This car was excellent. The end finally came when the rings went. My mechanic didn't want to do the work, for fear of breaking manifold bolts, so I junked it.

Besides that, no major problems.

General Comments:

I bought the car from a friend's grandfather in 1986. At the time it was 21 years old.

Put beige seat covers on the bench seats to match the interior, and the car was a hit. Exterior color of the car was black.

The car had manual steering and remains the best handling car I have owned. The car was 4 door, had coil springs and an independent suspension. The body was light, so the car flew on the highway.

Replaced the AM radio with a tape deck, waxed it and kept it clean. For a 4 door car, it kept the chicks coming. Even my boss constantly gave me complements on the car. Everyone was intrigued by the all metal dashboard. If I remember correctly, padded dashboards were an option on that car in '65. I did all my own tune up's as the "small" 230 cubic inch motor was in-line. Gapping spark plugs and installing them in the engine took no more than 15 minutes. Oil changes were also a snap, but I went one stretch for 7 months without changing the oil. That was in the summer, and I logged near 16,000 miles on the car alone.

I honestly do not remember paying more than $200 for any repair on the vehicle. If I knew more about repairs back then, I would have kept the car and replaced the engine. The transmission was checked once, and never made a peep.

Review Date: 1st July, 2004

26th May 2008, 21:07

I have a 65 Malibu SS, owned it for about seven years. It still has the original paint and interior except for the carpet. It had about 37000 miles when I got it and about 43000 miles now. These are great cars, too bad people like to steal them.