2000 Chevrolet Prizm Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Prizm from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013

Summary:

It's the best car out there

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with this car, and trust me, it's been through hell and back. At almost a quarter million miles, I'm surprised it starts up and drives like a brand new car.

General Comments:

I'm a teenager, and I own this car, and it's been the best car to me.

It has about 228,000 miles on it, and it's had less problems than my mom's 2007 Aveo.

It's so comfy to drive, I love it!

It's faster than you think it would be! Don't underestimate it.

Through mud, rain, and hail, it never ceases to get through it all.

Review Date: 6th July, 2013

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 2.5 litre from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5 litre Automatic
Previous carGeo Prizm

Summary:

It's a dependable car that I fully expect will reach 250,000 to 300,000 miles

It is leaking oil slowly (leaking, NOT burning).

It needed new brakes at 99,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car has a lot of pep.

It's fun to drive.

It gets great gas mileage -- 34 to 36 mpg highway.

It handles very well in snow and on ice.

It has zero rust (and I live in a northern climate).

It's smaller than our 1996 model, making it not so comfortable on long trips with a family of four.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2009

2000 Chevrolet Prizm from North America

Distance when acquired112000 miles
Previous carChrysler Cirrus

Summary:

Toyota reliability with a Chevy name tag

Nothing yet!

General Comments:

I bought this to replace the piece of junk 1995 Chrysler Cirrus just donated to charity (see my posting.."I was a dope...").

The Prizm is the same car as a Toyota Corolla, except with the Chevy name tag and a lower market value. I admit we have only had it for 3 weeks, but so far feel this may be a real sweet little car.

Not much in terms of excitement or power. But the car runs great, is very comfortable, easy to drive, and gets excellent MPG.

Everything works perfectly. For 112000 miles, it appears to have been well cared for. Oil was clean when we bought it and brakes were good. I had the trans serviced and bought two new front tires for safe measure. My college aged daughter drives it, and she loves it.

Review Date: 9th January, 2009

25th Aug 2009, 19:12

Update for this same car from the original poster. Have had it only 8 months and have already logged in 14,000 miles (126K on it now). My daughter drives the you-know-what out of it! Unfortunately we just had our first fairly major problem which was electrical. There was a short in the wiring and both the daytime driving light module and radiator fan switch were shot. They also said the alternator wasn't putting out like it should. One week later, engine light went on, but I opened air filter and sprayed a very dirty MAF sensor with electric parts cleaner. No more engine light. Most postings for this car are positive, so we're crossing our fingers.

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSI 1.8 from North America

Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

I expected more from it

A/C leak (fixed my dealer under warranty)

A/C circuit control module.

MASS air flow sensor.

O2 sensors went out BOTH of them.

Tires, originals were junk.

Dashboard lights burning out, radio too.

Where is the oil going?? Not burning and not leaking!

General Comments:

This is actually my mother's car. She bought it after my dad totaled her S-10. (Rolled it) Anyway, bought it because she had previously bought my sister a 93 Rrizm LSI and it was pretty much trouble free. Well, this 2000 doesn't have half the power the '93 model had. No pick-up to it, the O2 sensors shorted out to the tune of 300.00 each (not dealer, this was @ autozone) EXPENSIVE!!

The interior of the doors is peeling away, CHEAP!! The lights on the stereo and the dashboard are burning out. Power steering starting to make noise. The A/C module that switches on the compressor is shorted out. Oil seems to disappear between changes, I changes it last time and it was only 2800 miles on that oil change and couldn't even get a gallon out of it. My mother is in her mid 50's and does not dog her car.

Disappointing from a "Toyota" product. My dad's little Suzuki Esteem puts it to shame, sad too the Prizm is an OK looking car, hers is black with spoiler and alloy wheels "LSI" fully loaded.

Review Date: 15th October, 2007

16th Oct 2007, 10:30

I wrote the above review, actually the car is an '01, sorry my fault thinking it was a 2000.

10th Dec 2007, 13:49

Oil should be checked more than every 2800 miles. Owner's manual states at every fill-up. Also, there is NO way you should get a gallon of oil when changing oil, the Prizm crankcase only holds 3.7 to 4 quarts... which is a gallon or LESS! If you dumped in 5qts after an oil change, you may have damaged the engine!

31st Dec 2007, 14:35

Nope, I got under 1/2 a gallon out of it everytime I change it. I am suspect of engine sludge. Motor has a little lifter tap under acceleration. I always put 4QTS of oil in it at an oil change. (always change filter too)

7th Mar 2008, 10:39

I also own a 2001 Prizm LSi. This car is AWESOME it is now at 130,000 miles and no problems. I change my oil regularly myself, so I know no one tampers with it. I also have changed the spark plugs myself and the brakes and rotated the rotors and flushed the transmission. However these are just regular for any car with this type use. I use this car everyday and it still gets 35 mph freeway or not. You may have just got a lemon, because we have 3 of this type of car in my family and everyone is above 120,000 miles with no problems!! I am good to this car and clean the engine regularly also! If you do not know a lot about the regular procedures of taking care of a car, I would strongly suggest getting to know a mechanic really well!!

12th Mar 2008, 16:03

As mentioned in the review (I wrote it) The car is taken care of. But I feel it is cheaply built. The motor has sludge, LSI wheels (aluminum) are corroded (and I detail her car every 6 months) Poor build from Toyota/Chevy. Anyone have the rubber trim cracking and peeling?? Very cheap quality there. Had to replace 2 O2 sensors before 50K THOSE ARE WAY EXPENSIVE!!