1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale 10 5.0L 305 V8 from North America

Summary:

Best darn truck on the road..

The old truck doesn't have much wrong with it that I know of.

When I bought the truck, the only thing that we had to do to it is replace the door panel, give it a tune up, and go.

General Comments:

I love this old truck. It is my first truck. I wouldn't trade it for a new car anytime.

With just a little bit of money, this truck would be in top shape. It just needs some TLC, which I plan to give it.

The engine has just a little tapping from one of the valves, but it still runs and drives like a charm.

The transmission is a little slow on certain mornings, but it's a 28 year old truck, she has the right to be slow when she wants. She can still peel the rubber off the tires when she wants to though.

The interior is a little rough, but a couple of bucket seats and she'll look better than she does.

Review Date: 21st March, 2008

12th Apr 2008, 10:07

Hey, I have 1980 Chevy Scottsdale that someone give to me, and now everybody wants to buy it.

I never had one before, but to tell you the truth I'll never want another one (IS NOT FOR SALE)

16th Jan 2009, 19:32

I got an 80 Scottsdale that my daddy bought about 6 years ago, and we've put that truck through hell and it's come back swinging. We used it to haul a water tank around, and that 305 just kept on getting it. Now it's mine and it's changed completely inside and out, and I'd never trade it for any car, cause it's my first truck.

17th Apr 2010, 12:14

It's not a 28 years old Scottsdale. It's a 32 year old Scottsdale. It's a shortbed liner truck to my grandpa in Kentucky. And every now and then, the Scottsdale wouldn't start without pumping the gas pedal, and every time the engine dies, the motor will not start unless the gas pedal is pumped a few times. Thanks.

1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale K10 from North America

Summary:

Good Old Beast

I bought the truck with rusted out exhaust and got new 3" dual glass packs installed.

Is rusted out on door and around the wheels which is expected with this old of a truck.

Replaced the starter.

Had to get rear u-joints replaced. Very expensive.

Drained axle fluid.

New rear brake rotors.

Had to replace the bright/dim switch on headlights.

General Comments:

This is definately a great truck that I love to drive and ride in. Although the gas mileage is dismal (10 mpg), I would not trade it for a newer truck. The carburetor makes it hard to start in the winter, but with a manual choke it is not too bad. The engine is completely original and runs like new, with plenty of pulling power.

The four-wheel drive makes this beast all the much better. I have pulled several people out of the muddy/snowy ditch without problem. I have never had problem with the linkage or locking hubs and love tearing around in it.

Rust is a major problem with these old Chevy's. If you don't want a truck with rust do not buy this vehicle. If you don't care what it looks like, this is the one. Using it for work is great, as it can haul whatever I want and I don't have to care about scratches. The cabin is good enough for a truck, but the electrical system is a negative.

Even though I have had my share of repairs on this truck, they have all been worth it. I am proud to own this Chevy and would get another. Hearing the 350 roar out the glass packs makes it all worth it.

Review Date: 29th February, 2004