1997 Chevrolet Tracker Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Tracker 1.6L from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 1.6L Automatic
Previous carGeo Prizm

Summary:

I love my Tracker!

The only thing that went wrong is that the check engine light has been on for the last 50,000 miles. We had the dealership try to find the reason for it being on and they couldn't find the problem. Aside from that, the only things we have ever done were typical things such as replacing the muffler and tail pipe, brake pads a few times on the front and replacing the brakes on the rear because of rust. Michigan winters. It's always dirty, has some rust, but what's important is that it's as reliable as a hammer and everything in the drive train works perfectly. It has never left us stranded and I would trust it to drive anywhere.

General Comments:

Durable as a hammer. All the knobs and switches still work. The AC has never been charged in 10 years and it still works a little.

It won't go very fast, but it never breaks down and does get pretty good gas mileage.

What I really like about it is that it's kind of primitive. It's easy to work on and really designed like a very small truck.

It climbs hills like a monkey, and pounds through the snow.

Review Date: 25th November, 2007

1997 Chevrolet Tracker 1.6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Cool - it's fun for a trucker on a budget

Brakes worn out and relined about 115000km. Grommet on hood prop bar broke after 100000km (new one cost $.60 from dealer). Tires worn after 80000km. Still haven't done a tuneup - I don't know what's wrong.

General Comments:

This is a straight-up utility vehicle. I'm not sure if it's an SUV since it's not really a "Sporty" UV. I really like it, though since it runs and maintains and drives over rocks just like a truck. I wish GM still made something like it since I don't really want to switch to a Jeep next time. Some truck-like stuff that I like: (1) locking hubs (2) hi-lo transfer case (3) truck-type steering box (not rack-and-pinion) (4) factory air-conditioning with manual controls.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2004

16th Jan 2006, 13:41

I'm with you there, brother. I cannot believe there is not a large enough market within the U.S. to cntinue marketing these little trucks. There's no other vehicle like them. I like the gear drive transfer case (versus the fluid systems eveyone is going to). And people wonder why GM is losing their market share...?