1978 Chrysler LeBaron Medallion 318 2BBL from North America

Summary:

Comfortable luxury/Chrysler quality

Fan clutch failed almost immediately after buying the vehicle... the bearings in the unit were making a loud "squeeling" noise, particularly during acceleration, etc.

A relatively easy fix for 40.00 and an hour and a half...

This has been the only mechanical failure thus far... this car seems to have been engineered quite well.

General Comments:

The 1978 Chrysler Lebaron was a mid-size sedan complete with luxurious touches and fine engineering we had come to expect with the Chrysler name.

My Lebaron is a "Medallion" edition, which is simply a "fancier" version of the standard sedan... vinyl top, A/C, tilt steering and side molding were a few of the options offered with the series. The sedan I purchased has velour upholstery and a "stock" working (!!!) am radio; not the luxury package here but quite functional indeed.

The car is powered by a 318 engine, which I have found to be a workhorse when it comes to Chrysler products... with only 79,000 original miles it will be interesting to see what kind of use I can get out of this car. I also have the "Lean Burn" version of the 318 2 bbl, which has its share of critics out there... it is Chrysler's initial use of a computer (the electronic spark module) along with a number of other emission control items to produce a "clean and lean" engine; the only question, which I am sure I'll see over time, is whether of not I will want to change to a standard ignition.

It has great power and acceleration, but is also a dependable vehicle to commute around town. I am, however, a little disappointed with the gas mileage I've been averaging (10 to 12 miles per gallon)... it may be in need of a tune up and timing adjustment pretty soon.

This car is simply a delight to run out on the highway.. the suspension is just perfect for cruising at highway speeds and seems to be in great shape for its age... (it is like taking a ride in your recliner chair)... what a nice change of pace from a 1996 Saturn SL!!!! Haha

All of the other systems in the car appear to be in good working order... no complaints at all

Review Date: 1st December, 2009

1978 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country wagon 5.9 V8 from North America

Summary:

Luxury, but at a price

Electrical issues.. power windows failed three times in two years, and the lean burn electronic system was a nightmare.

General Comments:

Was a poor college student when I picked this car up cheap from family friends. It could climb a wall as far as power was concerned, and the comfort of the ride with those Corinthian leather seats was great.

Of course this was a used car with high mileage, so you are going to expect issues with it, but the electrical system was definitely a problem area on this car, and the previous original owner had experienced them also.

Review Date: 7th February, 2008

10th Mar 2013, 18:27

Yeah, I bought a 78 LeBaron 4 barrel 318, and this car is a beast after I eliminated the spark control module and the charcoal canister. The car sat for 4 years, and started right up and everything works. I had a Jeep before this, and will always remain loyal to Chrysler. Next I will try a Dodge ha ha.