2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 2.4L turbo from North America

Summary:

Very nice car - Just don't buy it for gas mileage

- Was somewhat surprised that the back brake pads and rotors had to be replaced by myself after 30,000 miles. Has been fine since.

- Hatch in back is sticking or coming in contact with something that prevents it from opening naturally.

General Comments:

Upsides:

- The interior is leather, comfortable, and spacious (fits 4 adults easily); Unlike most other compact cars, you sit rather high in the PT Cruiser, with a very easy view over the dash.

- Gauges behind the steering wheel have several nice display features, including: Outside/Interior Temperature, Compass, Radio Station, Average Gas consumption and a host of other goodies.

- 2.4L Turbo engine churns out 230hp, giving this car some real zip for it's price range.

- Traction control works well.

Downsides:

- The car (with a Turbo at least) is a gas guzzler; I get ~19/20MPG when averaged over highway and city street driving.

- With 4 people in the car, the storage space available for hauling is limited.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2008

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring 2.4 liter turbo from North America

Summary:

The most fun ride I've ever had!

Nothing wrong with this car, although the gas mileage is seriously lower than previously owned Toyota so I'm having a bit of gasoline pump sticker shock, especially with current and rising gas prices.

General Comments:

I'd been wanting a convertible for a long time, but I've always bought very sensible, very sensibly priced Toyota Corollas my whole life and I didn't want a pricey sales sticker or a honking big car payment.

It took a leap of faith to move to a Chrysler, and my long term decision is yet to prove itself, but the PT Cruiser Convertible is the most affordable way to get into a convertible. Since I bought 2006 model year new in early 2007, I got the car, fully tricked out, for under 19K.

This convertible is a cool, fun ride at a very reasonable price.

Other than the gas mileage differential, the trunk design requires deep bending to get anything in or out of it, although it does offer enough room for two moderately sized pieces of luggage without dropping the seats, and significantly more room when the rear seats are dropped.

However, the rest of the car is perfect as far as I am concerned. The cabin is roomy and comfortable, I can fit 4 adults in the car comfortably even when one of them is a fairly tall man in the back seat, and I have yet to go a single day without somebody offering positive comments in parking lots, at toll booths, and even at stop lights.

Road noise is minimal even at 70 mph with the top down.

Every errand turns into a mini-vacation. To steal from a Queen song.... "I'm in Love With My Car".

Review Date: 12th June, 2007

28th Apr 2009, 09:07

I agree, it's like vacation every time I get in. The convertible is so cool!!! I love my car. The noise is like none at all. I can hear my radio very well. And most of all, I love the look of the car. People do give positive feedback all the time. Thanks Chrysler. Jones N.J.

4th Jul 2014, 18:11

One thing not so wonderful on the PT Cruiser is the turning circle; feels like it has the turning circle of a school bus. Because of this, it is extremely difficult to park in tight quarters. I used to sell them, and trying to get them back into their spaces on the lot was difficult to say the least. Otherwise a very decent convertible.

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base 2.4 Liter 4 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

The best small car available on the market

Nothing, but seats stain bad.

General Comments:

I bought the PT Cruiser to replace my old Volvo 850 wagon. The Volvo was getting old and needed repair frequently, and I needed a new small car that would provide versatility and good fuel economy.

To tell the truth, I was a little wary of buying an American car given their overall poor reliability record, but they have been getting better as of late. The reviews I had heard about the PT were exceptional and reliability was above average, so I caved and bought one.

I purchased the base model (with and automatic transmission and a/c being the only two options) at a price of about $16,700. That was not a bad price at all considering what this car has to offer.

One of the cons I have heard about the PT was that the powertrain (150hp 2.4 Liter 4 Cylinder) is too small and underpowered. Quite frankly, I think that it is quite peppy. I drove this car on the highway during a family vacation and frequently had to take my foot off of the accelerator pedal because I was going too fast.

The automatic transmission isn't bad either, and shifts smoothly enough. I like the fact that Chrysler designed the car so that you selected overdrive by moving the gearshift, and not pressing some button on gear lever itself. I have had cars in the past with this feature and when I went to go shift the car it would pop out of overdrive because I accidentally hit the button.

The build quality of this car is very impressive and rivals the top Japanese makes. The PT has a heavy, quality feel not usually seen in small cars today. Soft touch plastics garnish the interior and the doors and exterior features feel solid.

I love the exterior design. The chrome grille strakes and large Chrysler emblem add a sense of elegance to the car. I also like the enormous liftgate (useful for loading wide objects) with the electronic touchpad. All I have to do is give a gentle press on the pad and the liftgate swings open. Ingenious!

On the inside, the PT is even more amazing. The gauges are large and easy to read, while the color keyed bezels surrounding them match the exterior color of the car. I think that this feature is particularly nice because it brightens up the interior. The center stack is logically laid out, with all of the controls right where you expect them to be. The placement of the window switches here may seem a bit awkward at first, but when you think about it, this is a good place for them to be. The salesman at the Chrysler dealership told me that when most power windows fail, it is actually the switch itself and not the window mechanism and that is why Chrysler put them there.

I have never seen such a great center console in a car. It has two large storage bins for CDs, pens, and cell phones, along with an integrated armrest. There are also cup holders for all five passengers. The seats in this car are comfortable as well. The fabric is nice looking, but I have had a hard time keeping it clean. RAIN will stain these seats. Why isn't there any protectant on these seats to begin with? Anyway, I got a can of stain protectant at the local auto parts store and am in the process of coating the seats.

I can store tons of items in the cargo area, and the removable 60/40 split rear seat is a marvel of engineering. We went on a 2 week vacation recently and I didn't even have to fold the seats down! I was still able to install the cargo shelf as well, so nobody could see our luggage.

Overall, this is the best small car on the market you can buy right now in my opinion. It is cool looking inside and out, fun to drive, and supremely reliable. The dealership I have been going to has excellent sales and customer service as well.

The PT Cruiser has everything you could ever want in a car.

Review Date: 31st July, 2006

6th Aug 2006, 16:51

You can't fit a V6 in the car. The engine bay is way too small. Even the 2.4 Liter 4 is a tight fit.

20th Sep 2006, 21:57

I got a brand new 2006 PT with a 5 speed for $11,999. It's a GREAT deal of car for the money... A/C, electric windows, power door locks, alarm, keyless entry. The list goes on! There is something to be said for power to weight and that little "hand shaker." Since I have so little invested, I don't care a bit about abusing it just to see how long it will last. You would be surprised at how many cars of all shapes and sizes you can blow away with this thing. I've had it up to 110 and it seemed to wanna go faster. Overall, I love the interior design! I like the outside temp gauge and the analog clock. Oh heck, I guess I'll just write a review of my own! Got $12K to spend. Take a look at the base PT. You won't be sorry!!!