2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible GTC from North America - Comments

30th Oct 2005, 06:01

The above comment is absolutely right -- Chrysler's 2.7L engines are prone to seize and die, and Chrysler WILL try to blame you for "not changing the oil."

You should get your 2.7L flushed and immediately switch to a thin synthetic -- it should allow you to get 100,000 miles from this engine if you're lucky. Otherwise, you'll likely have the engine die at around 60,000 miles.

Incidentally, I know two Chrysler drivers who kept records of their oil changes -- all of which were within the specified range listed in the owner's manual -- who were still told that their engine failure was "their fault." These engines cost over $6,000 to install new, and you'll find most engine repair places are completely out of them and back-ordered.

Don't believe me? Call up any engine replacement shop and ask him about the Chrysler 2.7L. You'll get an EARFUL.

14th Oct 2010, 13:14

I have a 2002 Sebring LX.

I agree with the above criticisms and warnings to anyone even thinking about buying this car! Here's my list of problems since I bought it used in 2003:

Rear window defogger broken/fixed twice.

Transmission modulator broken/fixed.

O2 sensor broken.

Control module broken.

Right rear strut loosened and fell apart while driving.

Air bag switch (connected to seat belt) loose and indicator light remains 'on'.

Convertible top latch (right side) broken during normal use.

2.7L engine timing assembly fell apart (same as others).

Front rotor out of round (both sides) twice.

2006 - left tie-rod broken while driving.

2008 - right tie-rod broken while driving.

2009 - right tie-rod broken while driving on highway (almost crashed).

2010 - left lower control arm rust/worn out (replace).

2010 - left upper control arm separated - car out of control/near crash.

By the way, I know there were other mechanical problems that I don't remember here. Sorry.

In summary, I am glad that I am selling it. To the buyer - BEWARE!

10th Jun 2011, 09:10

Wow. I'm not alone. I bought a 2002 Chrysler Sebring GTC convertible in 2006. Most notably, I've replaced the V6 2.7L engine due to it "seizing" on me at less than 35,000 miles. I was also told that it was my fault - even though I had complete records of regular oil changes. That cost me almost $6,000.

Since I had just bought the car, and had sunk $6,000 in a rebuilt Jasper engine, I felt obligated to keep it going, thinking with a new engine, SURELY I have a NEW CAR. I'm such an ass. I've been sinking money into it since that time. New oil pressure sending unit, new O2 sensors, new EGR valve, new plugs, new this, new that. All around the engine.

Moving on from that, I've had to replace both front ball joints, and I've had repeated problems with the rotors/pads just falling off, regardless of who does the brakes. She's sure pretty... but my God... she's a bitch. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy another Chrysler again.

Add another comment