1975 Chrysler Valiant Regal 5.2 litre (318 ci) Fireball V8 from Australia and New Zealand

A machine for the modern hero

Front gearbox seal blew mid-burnout.

Distributor needed replacing.

Original Carter carburettor needed replacing.

Other minor things that go wrong with every car that's done 300,000 kilometres.

General Comments:

I paid $500 for my 1975 VK Chrysler Valiant Regal in 2000. My grandfather had a VH Regal and I'd wanted one ever since. It was badly rusted. I drove it around for a couple of years and then what started as a blown gearbox seal became a restoration project that lasted far too bloody long.

The best thing about the old Vals is that they'll go forever with minimal - and I mean MINIMAL - maintenance.

The worst thing is the rust - particularly in the VH, VJ, and VK models.

The 5.2 V8 is a slouch in stock form, as are the 4.0 and the 4.3 sixes. Any Australian Chrysler benefits greatly from the good ol' carbs, cam, exhaust methodology.

The only advice I would give is to install a transmission cooler if you've got an auto.

And don't screw the bloody front end down too low - they don't like it.

Review Date: 16th April, 2004

1975 Chrysler Valiant VK Charger 770 360 V8 from Australia and New Zealand

Rare Australian VK Charger

Nothing, just your normal wear and tear... tires... ball joints etc.

General Comments:

This car is factory fitted with the 360 V8 {e57}.

Bought the car in Adelaide, always garaged, interior is still mint, these aussie chargers are always going up in price... {never sell it!}

Review Date: 22nd July, 2003

5th Sep 2003, 01:06

Got to tip my hat to you mate, sounds like your VK Charger is a REAL beauty. I reckon the VK and CL Chargers are the best looking out of all the Chargers (with the exception of the R/T E38 and E49 Chargers). Personally I don't like the 360 V8's, too heavy on fuel and lacking in performance I think, but a factory-fitted 360-powered Charger is definitely worth preserving as they are now quite thin on the ground. Otherwise, keep up the good work and keep the faith.