2003 Citroen Picasso Reviews

2003 Citroen Picasso 1.8 petrol from South Africa

Model year2003
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Caravelle

Summary:

Very comfortable for the long road

Gearbox problems.

Head gasket blown at 170000 km.

Front brake disks had to be skimmed twice.

Started using a lot of oil after 150000 km.

General Comments:

The most comfortable car I ever owned.

The seats were as comfortable as a good lounge chair.

Very quite and smooth engine.

Lots of boot space and lots of space for odds and ends.

The best car for a long road.

Very good fuel consumption.

Review Date: 16th April, 2010

2003 Citroen Picasso LX 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Previous carFord

Summary:

Entire car controlled by a totally unreliable electronic system - Would definately NOT recommend

I bought this car through a neighbour, who happened to be a Citroen dealer, and it remains one of the worst mistakes I have ever made!

Within 18 months an 'engine fault' appeared on the display. Despite many investigations, no fault has ever been found. The warning can be re-set, but after a few miles it comes back again. As this happens every time the the engine is started, I am left with an unsellable car - nobody wants a car that so clearly warns of an engine fault - even though there is not one!

After another 12 months, the temperature display shows that the engine is overheating - even though it is not!

We are now unable to start the car at all, because it has enabled the immobiliser and no longer recognises our key! I may as well empty my bank account and burn all my money.

So I am stuck with car that I hate and cannot sell.

General Comments:

Sluggish acceleration.

Seriously unreliable electronics.

The kids love the space and seating arrangements, but I HATE the car!

Review Date: 1st January, 2010

2003 Citroen Picasso Exclusive 2.0 HDI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 HDI turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVolvo 850

Summary:

A disappointing effort which could have been so much better had Citroen thought about longevity

- On board Sat Nav disc reader will not read the disc, hence no Sat Nav.

- Power steering pump leaks fluid and gives very heavy steering.

- 3 Fuel injectors were replaced by previous owner in Nov 2007, another has gone this week.

- Turbo Has failed needing replacement.

- Air-Mass flow sensor needed replacing.

- Driver's seat bolster is worn and the leather has cracked (presumably due to cheap materials used and lack of care by previous owners).

- Dashboard lights intimitantly fail.

General Comments:

After owning a succession of Volvo's my partner and I decided that we needed something equally as practical but without the high running cost, so we opted for the 2003 Citroen Xsara Picasso Exclusive 2.0 HDi.

Now it’s not the best looking car in the world, but it does have a certain quirkiness that grows on you the more you drive it.

The interior is very spacious and the rear seat layout is excellent, allowing the seats to be moved forward or backwards, along with slight adjustment to the backrest should the passenger feel the need to recline.

The layout of the dashboard isn't as ergonomic as I am used to in the Volvo, although it is functional. I find that the position of the electric window switch by the gear change to be rather inconvenient and the selection of 'Lego' style buttons which control the rear windows is darn right hideous. It looks as if they have been lifted out of an old BL Maestro.

I hate the horn being on the end of a stalk and I also dislike the Climate Control system which I find too fiddly and more complicated than it needs to be.

On the plus side, the leather interior does look great and is relatively supportive although being 6 foot, I do find that there is a lack of leg room for me. The seat could do with going back a few more clicks.

The airline style armrests and folding trays in the back are a great idea, although in practice we have never used them.

If I could improve this car I would make the gear change smoother and more direct, the handling wouldn't be so woolly and the acceleration would be improved.

Although the car is economic, it does lack grunt and a 6th gear!

Having owned countless Volvo's in the past, and not having any serious issues which have let me down, I will not be returning to Citroen.

Their ideas are great but I demand a lot more from my cars, so this week, I’m going to bring my old 850 from out of storage and start driving that again - it was more reliable, much more comfortable and with its 2.5 litre 20 Valve engine, a lot more responsive!!

Review Date: 15th July, 2008