1993 Citroen Xantia Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1993 Citroen Xantia LX 1.8i from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.8i Manual
Previous carPeugeot 405

Summary:

A very comfortable, reliable, high-mileage express

Remote locking fob didn't work so I obtained a new one which didn't work. I then replaced the infra-red receiver unit and that didn't work either so I decided that there was a wiring problem in that area! It didn't matter too much because the car still has a touch-pad for the immobiliser.

I also replaced the middle/rear box of the exhaust, which wasn't too expensive at £125 (thanks Formula 1)!

Drivers seat had started to wear slightly, but with 160k on the clock this is not surprising.

General Comments:

I bought this car because it was very very cheap, only £700, and I expected it to be quite unreliable, being a Citroen, but I have been pleasantly surprised. The only things to have gone wrong were the remote fob and the exhaust.

The engine on this car is superb, it's not quick and it doesn't like being revved, but it is very torquey and when I sold the car with 183k on the clock it still used very little oil.

The suspension proved to be very reliable, I experienced no problems whatsoever.

I would definitely considering buying another Xantia.

Review Date: 4th April, 2003

1993 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9TD from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 1.9TD Manual
Previous carAudi 80

Summary:

Solid and comfortable, but the economy of the diesel engine is offset by costly repairs

Heater matrix and front spheres replaced by Dealer under warranty (with a £50 excess) virtually immediately (so much for Dealerships checkup)

Rear height adjuster at 90,000.

Glow plug relay at 95,000.

Heater matrix again at about 100,000.

Heater matrix about to go again at 153,000.

General Comments:

Feels solidly built, drives well and provides a good level of comfort when the heater is working.

I use it daily for commuting - about 60 miles a day and it gives me about 40mpg which is great considering the size of the car.

I believe that virtually every car has an Achilles Heel - a component that fails and costs a fortune to rectify.

With Xantia it is the heater matrix. Although the component only costs about £50 it require 7 hours labour involving removing the dashboard to replace it.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2003

1993 Citroen Xantia LX 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVauxhall Nova

Summary:

Unreliable, poorly built and expensive to maintain

Rear arm bearings, at a cost of around £300.

Ball joint.

Two of the three bolts holding the hydraulics pump together snapped in half!!! A new pump costs £350, and fitting cost around £80.

Since the failure of the pump, the hydraulics deteriorated significantly in quality, which no doubt would have been costly to repair.

Split water pipes.

Tracking, which caused extensive damage to the front tire's.

All of the wiring for the stereo (both electrical and speaker wires) were faulty. The stereo kept shorting out and eventually became unusable.

General Comments:

I owned this car for almost exactly a year, and I spent at least three weeks of that traveling to work in my girlfriends car.

I had no confidence in the vehicle at all. As soon as one fault had been remedied another one developed, and at no small cost.

Review Date: 17th October, 2002

28th Sep 2007, 23:29

Hey man... your Xantia is probably not a well-maintained car (resulting in loads of problems). Don't blame the car, man. My Xantia is the most reliable car I know...

1993 Citroen Xantia VSX 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.0 16v Manual
Previous carPeugeot 309

Summary:

Good, but cheap long distance family car

The ABS ECElectronic Control Unit was found to be non-operational just before its last MOT. This could have been expensive to fix, but fortunately I found a second hand unit for £80 delivered to my door.

An ignition coil failed. (On the 16v model there is no single distributor. Each spark plug is energized by a coil that sits directly on top of it) These are much cheaper for the older models. This cost me £45 for the part, which I fitted myself. Some dealers recommend that all 4 are replaced at the same time. Rubbish! Only replace the one that is needed. The car will get you home on 3 cylinders, so don't worry about others failing later.

The key fob has failed - so I've lost the use of the alarm. Not much hassle here as there's a keypad that controls an immobiliser.

There is a key switch near the top right hand of the engine bay that will actually stop the alarm from ever being activated by mistake (for example via a run down battery).

Leak around sunroof, which seems to have disappeared now.

Recently required a flexible brake pipe for the MOT.

General Comments:

Very comfortable ride. The ability to alter the suspension height is very useful.

There are two levels of suspension.

The 2.0L 16v is very quick off the mark. It's the first car I've had that I cannot bring myself to see what it can do in terms of top speed!

Review Date: 11th October, 2002