1997 Daihatsu Charade Reviews

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carFord Laser

Summary:

I love it

Seals starting to leak now after owning it for 8 years.

General Comments:

This car has reliably driven me all over Australia, I will drive it until its death. It is cheap to run and easy to manouver. I love it and highly recomend it as the best small car on the market.

Review Date: 15th March, 2006

1997 Daihatsu Charade TSP 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2002

Summary:

A cheap to run pocket rocket!

I bought my Charade new as my first car. I have done a lot of long distance traveling in it etg. 500kms at a time. The Charade coped with the long distances well.

After 4 years the seat covers have worn and the stitching on the seat covers has come undone in some areas.

I have had ongoing problems with the drivers side door handle. The handle mechanism slips and I cannot open my door from the outside, this is very frustrating.

After 4 years the seat belt stopped sliding back up into position when released, instead they just sag limply and get stuck in the door when I try to close it.

Brilliant sound system too.

General Comments:

This car is highly reliable. There is absolutely nothing to complain about in the engine. In the 5 years I've had the car nothing has gone wrong.

It is small, handles well, fits into tiny parking gaps, handles 140kms per hour well and runs on little petrol.

I would recommend this car to any person on a tight petrol budget who will be doing lots of traveling.

Review Date: 17th September, 2002

23rd Feb 2004, 01:03

That is the symbol for the Catalytic Converter.

It need attention.

With the amount of time between your question & my post, I would say that the problem will have been sorted.

A question of my own. What Kilometers had the car done when the symbol apeard?

30th Mar 2004, 04:41

I bought a 1997 1.5l 4cylinder 4 door charade hatch new and have done 110,000km in 8 years. The boot lock doesn't work, but it can be opened from the latch near the driver's seat. The air-con still cools well. The car runs as well today as it did when I drove it out the yard. I have added yellow fog lights on the front bumper. I wear tyres (front) fairly quickly (3 sets so far). A recent brake check by a pro. said I can expect another 50,000km from the original pads. It uses no oil yet. Overall, it is so reliable that I expect to get another 5years before I trade to another Daihatsu. Probably a Sirion.

8th Jun 2005, 02:05

Hi, I'm just eighteen years old and I've just begun to learn how to drive. The car in which I'm learning is a Daihatsu and I just wanted to say: It's an extremely good car! Excellent to start learning how to drive.