1980 Datsun 200SX from North America

Summary:

Bulletproof and Long Lasting - The Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned

The rear brakes were a new disk brake design for Nissan and were dangerously bad. They didn't work well with the proportioning valve, and would often lock up.

After a near death experience, I rebuilt the rear brakes with new rotors an calipers. I had no serious problems after that. (BTW the design used in the 240SX is similar. They solved the lock up problem by using much smaller brake pads. That solved the lock up problem, but the it also means the 240SX rear brake pads wear prematurely... faster than the front pads).

The idle switch is touchy and needed to be adjusted.

I replaced the alternator at about 135,000 miles.

The clutch was replaced at about 120,000 miles.

General Comments:

The 240SX was a decently performing and handling car.

The interior was OK, but not designed well nor put together well.

Mechanically, the car was incredible. Almost zero maintenance, and as reliable as a doorknob. The NAP-Z engine was a great engine.

It was also a dream to work on. It had plenty of room under the hood, and was actually engineered with servicing in mind.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2005

1978 Datsun 200SX from North America

Summary:

Nice overall look and design for sound system

Originally purchased car for $200.

Got it to run for about a week then stopped. Have yet to figure out why.

Replaced starter/solenoid. No change.

Rebuilt Carburetor. Same.

General Comments:

Nice look to the car, but didn't really have a chance to drive it. Hard to locate parts/mechanic due to year.

Plan on fixing it up with a 185 to see if it will run then.

Review Date: 4th February, 2005

11th Nov 2005, 22:14

I haven't had a chance to get it running due to military stationing. Car is currently located in Boise, Idaho and I live in San Diego, Ca. My current residence doesn't have anywhere I would be able to work on the vehicle and I don't make enough to go back and forth to Idaho to fix it.

1983 Datsun 200SX Coupe Z-22-E from North America

Summary:

A low dollar hot-rod in disguise, the perfect sleeper

So far I have had zero problem with this car with the exception of needing to replace the battery after purchasing the car, and having to have a rear window installed in it due to the original one being broke out by a tornado. Other than that, it has been a very reliable car.

General Comments:

I love this car so far, it is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage compared to my last car, a 1978 Dodge full size van. I am averaging just over 24 in town and 30 on the highway. The car is very quick, bordering on fast as..., well you get the picture, corners great for a stock suspension, and over all is a dream to drive.

Review Date: 7th December, 2003

25th Jun 2005, 12:36

I owned one of these for about 4 years.

Just wait until you have to get the brakes (especially rear) services. Rear calipers are over $300 each.

However, it was very quick for a 2L and it handled very well.

Good luck.

1981 Datsun 200SX 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

This thing moves!!

Only 2 things went wrong with the car when I owned it for about 1 year.

The fuseable link blew and the car would not start, so it had to be towed to the garage, but it was fixed in a jiffy.

Second was the car kept wearing out clutches at an alarming rate. In the year I owned it I put 3 clutches in, and the dealer could not figure out what was wrong other than to stand there and say "I think you need a new clutch".

General Comments:

The car was silver and in good condition in and out and everybody said so, it was my first car and I couldn't clean it and tinker with it enough.

It had power everything, disc brakes in the rear, fuel injection, and a rear wiper on the hatch.

This baby moved, I could spin the back tires till the cows came home and believe me I did, that's why the first two clutches I thought were my fault.

The car's comfort level was good and the handling was good, although being 18 years old it didn't stand up to my torture and I ended up in some guy's front yard and some other guys ditch.

I had to get rid of the car because of the clutch, but the car was sweet for my first.

Review Date: 9th November, 2002