2007 Dodge Caravan 3.4 litre from North America

Summary:

Pretty good

The brakes have squealed intermittently, and the dealership couldn't fix it, because naturally it wouldn't do it for them. But the problem seems to have resolved itself.

The brakes went in a short time, and had to be replaced, at about 45000km. Maybe that's why I haven't heard them squeal lately.

Not terribly good in snow. When I had the winter tires put on during a snowstorm, it seemed to have much less traction going away than when I went in with the summer tires.

The speakers often sound distorted, and can't seem to handle the ample bass from the radio.

The first time I got into the van, I quickly learned I have to bend my head down quite a bit to avoid getting banged on the doorframe and seeing stars, unlike the Pontiac.

General Comments:

It is less comfortable and has far fewer options than the luxurious Pontiac Montana it replaced - my daughter calls this one a welfare van.

Some more bells and whistles would be nice, but of course it is those things that broke down on the Pontiac.

We like the van, it is reliable, and just roomy enough to be comfortable. Good family van for those without a lot of money.

Review Date: 20th August, 2010

2007 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

Summary:

Comfortable, but expect mechanical maintenance

The only real issue we had with this car was RUST. It just rusted like crazy. The back hatch hydraulic cylinders need replacing at 65,000 KM (40,000 miles). The car after 1 year does not drive the same as when taken from the dealership.

I'm a bit more aggressive driver, and the car took the hard push. It always started up in the harshest days of Winter (-40 C). The ball-joints or tie-rods possibly will need replacing soon.

The brakes is a major issue. I've replaced the brakes at least 2 or 3 times in the first 60,000 KM.

Other than that, the car is real comfortable, transmission good, engine is adequate (SXT of course is much better) and overall no major issues.

Gas mileage is also high on this vehicle. 70 litres take me as far as 450 KM at best mixed HWY/CITY.

General Comments:

Very comfortable vehicle, and great for a family and long roads.

Review Date: 12th June, 2010

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L V6 from North America

Summary:

Cheap, affordable, inexpensive... and economical too!

Door was misaligned when the car was delivered - repaired under warranty.

Blew a few speakers (?!) - repaired under warranty.

Loose tie rod - replaced under warranty.

That's it!

General Comments:

As far as affordable people n' stuff carriers go, few are better than the Dodge Caravan.

Reasonable on gas, cheap to maintain, supremely comfy.

As long as you don't expect "sporty anything", luxurious materials, a quality feel, premium fit and finish, the Caravan is great.

Gross depreciation makes ownership a concern (I lease mine) and potentially expensive. I wouldn't buy a new one but I like leasing them.

Get a cheap used one and buy the best warranty available... you will not be disappointed.

Review Date: 4th December, 2009