1996 Dodge Dakota Sport Club Cab 3.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

Well worth the money!

The only parts that had to be replaced on this truck were replacing the tires every 50-60,000 miles.

Did have to replace the water pump at around 175,000 miles.

Other than that, just regular services, nothing costly.

General Comments:

This truck has a lot of miles on it, and the transmission and engine have never needed repair. That is pretty impressive for a vehicle to make it to 244,000 miles and still have its original engine and transmission running strong.

The truck is great in the snow, and the 4wd always works when I need it.

It gets decent gas mileage for a truck ranging from 15 to 21 miles per gallon on average.

It still has power, and I have no problems passing vehicles on hills.

Never had to replace wheel bearings, ball joints or anything of that nature.

Interior is comfortable seating up to 6 people.

Overall a good, solid truck. I am now a true believer in Dodge!

Review Date: 4th February, 2009

1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 3.9L V6 Magnum from North America

Summary:

A good old truck with some problems

Emergency brake and brakes - lines replaced due to severe rust.

Power steering pump - blew a hose while driving (that was a fun one).

Front end - needs to be re-aligned, pulls to the right.

Engine - starting to rust and pit, also knocks which I believe are the lifters.

Rear axle - axle seal is bad and is slowly leaking.

Transmission - balks sometimes in reverse gear.

Dome light doesn't work on driver's side, only passenger.

The frame is rusted pretty badly because it wasn't taken care of properly. It was in NY before I got it, and the road salt and snow have taken their toll.

ABS system was "repaired" before I got it. It was actually done illegally and cost $1,000 to repair (the e-brake work was included).

Exhaust system - in short it needs to be replaced from the manifolds back, as the muffler is full of holes and the catalytic converter just rattles.

Moon visor - again due to poor maintenance, one out of five lights works, and the wiring harness is falling down.

Sunspots on the paint, and the rear wheel arches are severely rusted.

General Comments:

Overall, I love my '96 Dakota. Unfortunately it was never taken care of properly and is suffering because of it.

It drives pretty well with the exception of the front end and the power steering line blowing on me a week ago.

Transmission shifts easily and the clutch is great on the road.

I think I get between 20-23 mpg city. If it had only been taken care of better!

It's comfortable to drive. The suspension is not too hard and provides great road stability.

The V6 provides plenty of power but it has no speed, which is understandable. The fastest I have driven it is 75 mph (which in the condition it's in is pretty scary). Oddly enough the rear window whistles pretty badly at about 65mph.

Sadly, repair costs for the truck have gotten too expensive and I have to get rid of it. It will be donated to the boy scout camp I work at, where it will probably rust away. Oh well, I've put about 1200 miles on it and it's been great the whole time. I've been thinking about replacing it with a Chevy Caprice, either the civilian model or a 9C1.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2008

1996 Dodge Dakota SLT V6 from North America

Summary:

I LIKE it!

I have had an intermittent electrical problem that makes it seem like the engine wants to choke out and stall or a plugged fuel filter. I say electrical because here are the symptoms:

Start the truck and sometimes the airbag light and brake light stays on, no electrical to windows, heater or other dash. After several minutes that kicks off and I have everything back.

I will go down the road about a mile or so and then it acts like it wants to choke and stall, I kick it into neutral and feather it to get where I need to go or make a stop. It will die at stops etc if I don't keep gas going to it above idle.

The error codes said upstream high voltage to heater blower, downstream low voltage to sensor, O2 sensors etc, the check engine light has stayed on forever, no matter what. I can't figure it out.

General Comments:

I really like the truck, but need to get this fixed.

Review Date: 30th December, 2007