1995 Dodge Grand Caravan from North America

Summary:

A money sucking nightmare

I only had the van a year and a half. It had various minor problems. ie water pump, brake booster, brake master cylinder. The major problem was my transmission went out. I paid $2100 dollars to fix it. The transmission went out again a month after my warranty from the transmission shop ran out. At the same time my front axle was bad. I finally gave up on this vehicle.

General Comments:

The van is very pretty and comfortable. I'm writing this because this is obviously a family vehicle, but I don't want to see any family go through what we did.

Every month there would be a different problem. Some minor, some major.

Review Date: 11th March, 2004

4th Sep 2004, 19:51

I've had good service with my 1995 Grand Caravan. It has the 3.3L V-6 engine and 4 speed automatic transmission. I bought it used 3 years ago with 80,000 miles on it, and drive 35,000 miles a year. The only work I've done on it, other than fluid changes were replacing the tires, replacing front brake pads and rotors at 130,000 miles, replaced the water pump at 150,000 miles. I now have 211,000 miles on it and it's still running well, although the transmission is on it's way out, as today when I changed fluid, there was a fair amount of steel shavings in the filter.

My last Grand Caravan (1990 model) the transmission lasted till 225,000 miles, at which time I had it overhauled. I traded it in at 256,000 miles.

1995 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3.3 V6 from North America

Summary:

A great workhorse of a vehicle

Replaced Transmission at 110,000

Replaced front axle because of bad tone ring at 140,000.

Have replaced front and rear brakes twice.

Black goo is dripping down from rear window.

Power rear windows are intermittent.

Interior trunk release button doesn't work anymore.

General Comments:

Very Comfortable for long trips.

I have rear bucket seats, and it has become everyone's favorite vehicle to ride in.

I like it, but will probably not get another one when this one goes.

Review Date: 5th August, 2002

1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

Summary:

A transmission nightmare waiting to happen

Starter out at 48,000 (abnormal).

Front brakes at 50,000 (normal).

Transmission at 51,000 (extremely abnormal).

Engine mounts at 80,000.

More brakes, etc.

Transmission is going out again soon.

General Comments:

These were great minivans except that the transmissions seemed to be made out of plastic. We know many people with these cars and almost everyone we know has had to replace the transmission at least once. We were real Caravan supporters until this. Now you couldn't give us one.

Review Date: 30th November, 2001

1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3 6-cylinder from North America

Summary:

A vehicle to be measured by it's talents, not looks..

Air conditioning both front and rear does not work due to compressor failure. I did not realize the van had this pre-existing problem. I purchased the van during October 1999 in Minnesota.

Rear hatch button on dash stopped working at 116,000 miles.

Side sliding door lock unlocks with power lock switch intermittently. I did not use the sliding door until summer and noticed the problem.

General Comments:

The interior is has held up well and the dash still looks very good.

I don't have kids and am not married, but the built-in child seats have been very handy the few times I have used them for friends' children.

I wish there were more storage compartments on my Grand Caravan. I heard the LE's and ES's have more than my SE.

Many features that seem lacking have shown up on more recent models, like driver's side sliding door and rear power vent windows.

I am 21 and none of my friends have vehicles that are as versatile, so from hauling furniture to roadtrippers to partygoers, my Grand Caravan becomes the vehicle of choice. They make fun of it, but end borrowing it just the same.

I really wanted a reliable, useful vehicle to suit my needs, and the Grand Caravan filled most of them. It isn't the most stylish vehicle, but it is definitely one of the most talented!

My mother's best friend had a short-wheel base regular Caravan. By comparison the Grand is a much better choice. A lot more room and versatility.

My next vehicle will more than likely also be a mini-van.

Review Date: 8th July, 2001