2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Almost bulletproof motor

Okay, I have driven Caravans for a while and drive 60K per year. The torque converters on these develop an annoying shudder. Look for it between 2nd and 3rd gear about 45-50 mph. Motor mounts are problematic. Odometer and speed needle are off by 7 percent. That means at 67 mph you are driving 71 mph.

Very reliable and consistent fuel economy. I have replaced the alternator only. The airbag clockspring has gone out, giving me an airbag indicator warning light display. Dangerous blind spots are present on mirrors, and when changing lanes to the left, beware of other vehicles in your blind spot.

Paint on these vehicles is very good. Strong points are the 3.8 engine, which is practically bulletproof if you change the oil and maintain your coolant etc. I am just completing a cross country trip and this vehicle is excellent.

Front brakes warp with heat, and you should turn the front brake rotors on these as needed. I would even recommend slotted brake rotors to dissipate heat.

The interior driver's seat and cargo/seat covers fall apart with use. One annoying feature is the front power outlet and the cigarette lighter receptacle (when in use) are in the way of the driver's right leg.

Door locks on the sliding cargo doors are problematic. We have to manually lock the right side sliding door. They are expensive to fix or to trouble shoot. Most people just live with it.

Parts are very plentiful aftermarket, dealer or the junk yard. There are also plenty of used vehicles available, and very good values to be had provided you carefully examine everything. I have never had to align the front end; the suspension has held up remarkably.

General Comments:

Overall, very reliable with minor flaws. Recommended, but carefully examine everything before buying used.

Review Date: 15th June, 2014

30th May 2015, 01:23

This vehicle now has 253,000 miles and still going strong. No evidence of engine wear. Replaced power steering pump, 2 wheel hub assemblies and 1 speed sensor. I drive long miles. Handles and drives well. This vehicle has never let me down and does NOT have electronic glitches. I plan to buy another one when I can.

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable when maintained

Torque converters are defective on 2007 models, air bag light keeps coming on (the problem is in the steering wheel).

General Comments:

I still recommend this vehicle, which replaced a 2006 that had 266,000 miles. The 2006 is a better vehicle for some reason. My current 2007 has 190,000 miles and there have been problems. The torque converters are a defect on the 2007 model. Chrysler will not help you. I replaced my T-converter 6 months ago. When they go, the converter will shudder when shifting. This is due to a change by Chrysler for 2007. A bad change!

Replace at an after market repair shop, NOT the dealer. A good price for repair is around $600, which includes a new torque converter.

Side door rattles and actuators are a common defect. Latest issue is road noise, possibly caused by a bad wheel hub assembly on the left rear wheel. Again, do not take it to the dealer. Air bag light goes on intermittently, caused by lost contact in the steering column. The vehicle is however, reliable and predictable. Dodge computer codes are readable by turning your ignition key on/off/on 3 times. Mostly codes are caused by the gas cap. It's a Dodge thing.

Driver's seat is comfortable, but they wear out at the base of the lumbar area. Middle seat stow and go cargo bay covers fall apart with time and use. Replace as needed at a junkyard.

Maintain and it should be good for 250-300K. Parts are everywhere and reasonable. Plan on replacing wear items. Front brake rotors are prone to warping and should be turned as needed. 18-23 MPG. Again, I have driven these two vehicles 350,000 miles myself.

Review Date: 29th March, 2014