2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Almost bulletproof motor

Okay, I have driven Caravans for a while and drive 60K per year. The torque converters on these develop an annoying shudder. Look for it between 2nd and 3rd gear about 45-50 mph. Motor mounts are problematic. Odometer and speed needle are off by 7 percent. That means at 67 mph you are driving 71 mph.

Very reliable and consistent fuel economy. I have replaced the alternator only. The airbag clockspring has gone out, giving me an airbag indicator warning light display. Dangerous blind spots are present on mirrors, and when changing lanes to the left, beware of other vehicles in your blind spot.

Paint on these vehicles is very good. Strong points are the 3.8 engine, which is practically bulletproof if you change the oil and maintain your coolant etc. I am just completing a cross country trip and this vehicle is excellent.

Front brakes warp with heat, and you should turn the front brake rotors on these as needed. I would even recommend slotted brake rotors to dissipate heat.

The interior driver's seat and cargo/seat covers fall apart with use. One annoying feature is the front power outlet and the cigarette lighter receptacle (when in use) are in the way of the driver's right leg.

Door locks on the sliding cargo doors are problematic. We have to manually lock the right side sliding door. They are expensive to fix or to trouble shoot. Most people just live with it.

Parts are very plentiful aftermarket, dealer or the junk yard. There are also plenty of used vehicles available, and very good values to be had provided you carefully examine everything. I have never had to align the front end; the suspension has held up remarkably.

General Comments:

Overall, very reliable with minor flaws. Recommended, but carefully examine everything before buying used.

Review Date: 15th June, 2014

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable when maintained

Torque converters are defective on 2007 models, air bag light keeps coming on (the problem is in the steering wheel).

General Comments:

I still recommend this vehicle, which replaced a 2006 that had 266,000 miles. The 2006 is a better vehicle for some reason. My current 2007 has 190,000 miles and there have been problems. The torque converters are a defect on the 2007 model. Chrysler will not help you. I replaced my T-converter 6 months ago. When they go, the converter will shudder when shifting. This is due to a change by Chrysler for 2007. A bad change!

Replace at an after market repair shop, NOT the dealer. A good price for repair is around $600, which includes a new torque converter.

Side door rattles and actuators are a common defect. Latest issue is road noise, possibly caused by a bad wheel hub assembly on the left rear wheel. Again, do not take it to the dealer. Air bag light goes on intermittently, caused by lost contact in the steering column. The vehicle is however, reliable and predictable. Dodge computer codes are readable by turning your ignition key on/off/on 3 times. Mostly codes are caused by the gas cap. It's a Dodge thing.

Driver's seat is comfortable, but they wear out at the base of the lumbar area. Middle seat stow and go cargo bay covers fall apart with time and use. Replace as needed at a junkyard.

Maintain and it should be good for 250-300K. Parts are everywhere and reasonable. Plan on replacing wear items. Front brake rotors are prone to warping and should be turned as needed. 18-23 MPG. Again, I have driven these two vehicles 350,000 miles myself.

Review Date: 29th March, 2014

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L from North America

Summary:

Very reliable little bus

I have not had much in the way of problems with this car.

The power sliding door on the passengers side broke with in the first year. Fixed under warranty, then it broke again in the 4th year of ownership, and was fixed on my dime.

The brakes get used up too fast in my opinion. They only last about 20,000 miles; 10,000 miles to soon for my taste. This could just be the wife riding the brakes, which I think it is. I only use high quality replacement parts and ceramic brake pads, because I hate brake dust on the rims.

Other than that, it has only been routine maintenance as per the owner's manual.

General Comments:

This minivan has served us well over the years. It ha never let us down or left us stranded.

The performance is very surprising for a minivan. With the 3.8L V-6, it can scoot.

I would very much consider buying a Dodge minivan if I had to do it all over again. They build a nice little minivan. I never thought I would say that, because I am a Ford man.

Let's face it, nobody wants a minivan; you get one because you need one, so over my 5 years of ownership, I have to say this is a well built, dependable car.

One more thing; the stow and go option is priceless; you need this. All the seats fold flat into the floor, without having to remove them from the car, and then store them in the garage or shed. Stow and go makes it like a light duty pick up truck. Comes in handy if you need to move a sofa or pick up a new washer or dryer.

Review Date: 4th July, 2012

2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Excellent and predictable performance and mileage

A great vehicle with no real changes from 2006.

I have just recently acquired this 2007 Dodge Caravan SXT. Ran a previous 2006 Grand Caravan SXT to 267,000 miles. This one runs just as good.

My first act of ownership has been to change the plugs by adding Autolite Double Platinum plugs and good plug wires. I keep an extra wire in the vehicle.

I strongly recommend synthetic blend oil for best long term performance. Delivers 21-23 miles per gallon on the road, just like the last one.

The same seat moldings are are poor.

No oil leaks. Power flush the transmission on or before 100,000 mile mark.

I may add slotted rotors for longer rotor life.

Review Date: 10th March, 2012