1995 Dodge Ram Reviews

1995 Dodge Ram 5.2 from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1994
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

My favorite vehicle, and I have owned at least 25 types including other trucks

Transmission came out at 199,000.

General Comments:

Awesome ride, my truck was as tough as they come.

Transmission was my only complaint. Dodge should put as tough a transmission in trucks as they do the motors, and I would never buy another vehicle.

Review Date: 17th March, 2009

1995 Dodge Ram SLT Laramie from North America

First year of ownership1996

Summary:

Awesome, but problematic at times

Transmission.

Oil pressure drop.

Defective hood latch.

Temperature sensor in the transmission.

Water collecting in the door panels.

Paint on bumpers are starting to peel and a sleeve had to be fitted on the steering column to prevent loss of steering control.

General Comments:

Despite all these problems, I think this is one of the best built trucks on the market. The problems have been an inconvenience, but, this truck has out-performed any that I have test drove.

It is built to take abuse and lived up to all my expectations. I will recommend buying a Ram Truck just make sure you get a good warranty. You're going to need it!

Review Date: 17th January, 2004

1995 Dodge Ram SLT 5.2L from North America

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.2L Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Great truck if you need heavy duty performance from a light truck

My fuel pump went out at 65,000 miles.

Electric seat motors started to fail around 85,000 miles.

At 80,000 miles paint started to flake slightly. At 110,000, paint is still like it was when it started to flake: just a spot or two, but no rust: Really not a problem.

At 100,000 miles the transmission started to do what I have been told is torque converter shudder. Had a reputable transmission shop take a look at it, but of course it didn't do it during their test drive. All they ended up doing is flushing the transmission and changing the filter. Added transmission fluid friction modifier and this gave some relief from the symptoms, but it still occurs, just not as frequently. The shudder always seems to occur after letting of the accelerator momentarily and then getting back into it at ~48-58 MPH. If I take it out of overdrive it also seems to reduce the problem. This truck has been driven hard. I have used it to haul our horses and their hay very often, sometimes up to ~6000 # loads. I experienced this shudder only once before: at ~ 70,000 miles hauling the horses up a very steep and winding grade.

General Comments:

This truck has been an outstanding all around "ranch" truck for us. My only real complaints would be that the seats don't hold up very well: the drivers seat has broken down and doesn't provide much support anymore. Bad enough that that would be my main reason to get rid of it: I weigh in at 230# so the seat hasn't been that abused.

Even with the recent transmission problems, I am still very satisfied with this truck.

Review Date: 16th October, 2002

21st Nov 2003, 07:01

I've got a Ram van, but still have many of the problems listed. The one I am concerned with the most is the transmission shudder. I was told it was the torque converter also, but the vibration gets so bad my windshield cracked!

I've driven it nearly from coast to coast, and have been very satisfied until this.

MR.

9th Feb 2005, 10:27

You should never pull in overdrive with a load like that. That could be what caused the tranny problem. Always pull in D or 3.

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 360 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 5.9 360 Manual
Previous carDodge Ram Charger

Summary:

A waste of money!

In a period of one year, the Dodge dealer has replaced 3 intake manifold gaskets, one rear differential, and one catalytic converter. Now the engine is knocking and Dodge want 1,600 dollars to replace the crank and bearings.

General Comments:

I have contacted everyone in the Dodge dealer, and they have all practically blown me off. I contacted Chrysler Customer Assistance, and they told me that there was nothing they could do. I tried getting a hold of the Regional Manager and I was told I could not speak to him, and if he wanted to talk to me he would call me.

I know that they have knowledge of these engine and differential problems. Dodge has sent out bulletins to their mechanics on these issues. I have four co-workers with these same problems and yet Dodge refuses to stand behind their product. I will never buy a Dodge again for as long as I live.

Review Date: 1st October, 2000

18th Dec 2001, 13:53

I have a 1997 Ram with a 5.9, same problem with the differential and crankshaft, bearings with only 75000 miles. This is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned and will never buy another one.

12th Jun 2002, 13:58

I have a 1995 1500 SLT Laramie. I have 156000 miles. I've had problems with the oil screen in the pickup tube stopping up. I've changed oil regularly. I believe the exhaust manifolds are to close to the heads and is cooking the oil. I had problems with the wheel bearings. What used to cost me around $40.00 to change wheel bearings and dust seals in another truck cost $225.00 a wheel with the dodge. I don't like the way Dodge has done with our being able to get parts to make repairs ourselves.I've had other problems with this truck, catalytic converter going out, front axle seals, ABS system failure etc,. I used to be an auto mechanic and I know when I'm getting ripped off.

I've owned my last Dodge. If I ever by another truck it's going to be a Ford. I've never had this much trouble with a Ford. I owned an '88 F150 that I bought new and put over 236,000 miles on it with no problems. Right now I'm looking at trading. If you've ever tried to buy parts for a Dodge then you know what I mean.