2002 Fiat Multipla ELX 1.9JTD from UK and Ireland
It's a practical, comfortable to drive, easy to park, fun looking, fairly fuel economical family ca
X Reg bought last week in Dec 2002 from PIPERS of MAIDSTONE, delivered 1st week Jan 2003. Was a close call between Multipla and Vauxhall Zafira.
1. Leaking rear sun-roof. (No defect found, possibly not shut properly during pre-delivery checks).
2. Cracked boot sill - replaced.
3. Dented drivers door very small - dealer trying their best to ignore.
4.Passenger front door courtesy light intermittent, when you open door. Still intermittent so difficult to identify fault to dealer.
Faults 2- 4 spotted on fore-court and an extra week given to resolve these issues. Not done by dealer - warranting second trip to dealer.
Two weeks after delivery:
5. Cd changer jammed dealer claims warranty is void because I used a back-up copy CD. Solicitors are being contacted.
6.Engine Management faulty warning light on. Fixed.
7.Throttle cable jammed occasionally. This was apparently related to engine management as well as faulty cable.
8.ABS fault light on. Related to nos 6. Fixed.
9. No escalation procedure in dealership. Management don't want to know when you have a problem.
You would have thought that with all these mishaps, I would be put off. No.
Seating wacky, but practical. Both children can seat in front and mum stretches out along the length of back seat.
Weekly shopping fits comfortably in boot which is deceptive in size.
Took out all seats and able to honor long standing commitment to clear our garage.
Six and a half hour trip to Cornwall was ultimate test. Comfortable - even the children didn't mind. Chaos on M25 when leaving resulting in night driving. It wasn't that bad. I particularly like the high drive height and all round visibility.
When she goes she goes, and took the hills and dips in her stride. Overtaking not as sharp as a petrol engine. Very low ratio in gear one only good for 2 seconds after starting off.
At Today's diesel price of 78p /liter, I seem to spend about £40.00 every 300 miles of local driving - school runs, work local, shopping etc. Work out the math.
1. Remote electric window controls for driver and passenger side windows only. Cannot control rear windows from driver side. How many times do you tell the children to wind up fully?
2. Back seat headrests means poor visibility through rear window.
3. Rear window wiper set to one speed only. Cannot do intermittent wipe like you can with front wipers.
4. Only one cup holder in the front!! It's molded into the dash board so can't take extra large drinks.
5. Front seat belts do not always spring back when you release. You know that horrible feeling when you have jammed the buckle against the frame when shutting / slamming the door.
Some one tell FIAT to bring out a long wheel base model as the boot space could be a bit better, and pls, pls an automatic model or at least fit cruise control. Would I buy a newer model later on?. I don't know, cos I have really been put off by the dealership. From what I have read, it seems to be a common problem with FIAT dealerships.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 6th March, 2003
17th Sep 2004, 09:43
I have very similar views to the reviewer above. Multipla bought new in July 2002. The first two years had excellent support from my local dealer, although they had trouble narrowing down and fixing some of the electrical faults in the engine management system and ABS braking system. No cure for water in diesel filter on startup. I worked this out myself. If you jump in and start up immediately without letting it go through its pre-checks, it displays the error, even though there is no problem with the diesel fuel filter. Software glitch?
Problems with dealer now! The third year of warranty is dealer supported not FIAT. A leaking sun-roof is not covered by warranty! Surprise, surprise, I am out of the 2 year FIAT warranty period. Looks like glass is not bedding down on sealing rubbers properly. This gives us buckets of water out of the rear inspection cover for the sun-roof motor. Kids love avoiding the waterfall when we drive off! Any adjustment available I wonder?
Broken plastic seat trim where the seat belt has not retracted and my son has made sure the door was closed properly!
Excellent run-about as well as long distance cruiser. I enjoy driving it, my wife loves it and the kids are ecstatic about it. An excellent design that is let down by a mediocre car company. Buy another one? Yes, even though everything about FIAT and its build and customer service says do not!!!