2004 Fiat Panda Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza 1.2 8v petrol from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 1.2 8v petrol Manual
Previous carSAAB 9000

Summary:

Cool, cheap and nippy... but slow and poor dealer service

As it's only a year old, not much has gone wrong. What has is:

* front tracking went AWOL

* boot release stopped working.

Other "undiagnosed" faults include:

* engine revving on its own

* engine stalling at roundabouts.

* clutch judder, particularly in reverse

* intermittent operation of the passenger-side speaker

* clouds of blue smoke in the morning (at 14k!)

No official reason was ever given for these faults.

General Comments:

I liked it. OK, it was slow, but it was actually quite good fun. The body rolls a lot in corners, but there's enough grip. Even though it's slow, it's quite nippy and very maneuverable.

On the motorway the seats get a little uncomfortable and strangely the faster it's driven, the quieter it gets. There's less road or engine noise at 85mph than at 70mph.

The dealership in Bristol has been unhelpful, and the sales process was interesting. It was all nice when buying the car, but I had to wait an hour to collect it (I was on time for the appointment, but he was seeing someone else).

I'd been assured that the first service would be about £90. It was actually just under £190: quite a difference (and the door said the service department shut at 6pm, when in fact they shut at 5.30, so I missed the pick up too).

Best go independent for service and maintenance.

But it's a good, fun, economical car. It's "cool" as one chap put it. It just won't last for 100,000 miles.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2005

2004 Fiat Panda Eleganza 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2004

Summary:

Fun car, but only based on driving it for 2 weeks!

A fault was discovered with the engine whilst driving our brand new Panda back from the dealer in early September 04.

A local dealer could not identify the fault and Fiat agreed to replace the engine.

Our new car has remained at a local dealer ever since with next to no communication regarding what is happening about the delay!

A courtesy car has been provided which is the only saving grace.

This is another example of the dreadful lack of customer care we provide in this country once our money has been taken.

General Comments:

We were initially excited and the car was a lot if fun to drive.

However on account of the appallingly long delay in resolving our problem we have lost faith with Fiat and their after sales service.

This has been especially true of their head office where even a response from the MD did not answer any specific requests we had put forward.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2004

13th Oct 2005, 16:07

Just read a couple of the reviews here. I've left a couple here already. Just in case Fiat UK is in any doubt "SORT YOUR DEALER SERVICE OUT. GREAT CARS CRAP SERVICE!!"

23rd May 2006, 13:35

Shop around. I visited one dealership which tried every trick in the book to sell me an over priced Panda. I walked away. The next dealership I visited couldn't have been more different. Great cars, at least one great dealer.

2004 Fiat Panda Dynamic Aircon 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Previous carCitroen 2CV

Summary:

Great car, crap after sales

Electric boot release

Power steering.

General Comments:

Seems like I wrote the only review so far on the new Panda. Last time it was new and I was happy.

I still like the car, but the dealer service is shocking. They seem to be unable to repair the most simple of faults and treat customers with disdain. Although I work in the trade I have been treated poorly and do not believe me when I tell them about the problems with the car.

When I bought the car I was willing to give Fiat a chance re. their reputation for poor customer care. How wrong I was. I'm still going to reserve judgment as I love the car so much, but they really need to sort out their customer care. They are truly appalling - even head office. I complained to head office in the UK about the car. Their response was 'well life isn't perfect, is it?' Says it all really.

Review Date: 20th August, 2004

7th Sep 2004, 11:55

How true. As someone once said, great cars, but if you aren't married to a dealer, don't buy one.

24th Dec 2004, 04:13

We gave up on Fiats after awful dealer service and poor reliability. New Suzuki Wagon R was 100% reliable over 78,000 miles, now onto great Kia Picanto, still 100% after 7000 miles. Liked new Panda though.. shame it's a Fiat! They really need to get tough with the dealers and quality control, and listen to the buyers, because the designs are excellent, the brand fun, but who will risk their money on a poor relationship with the dealer and ultimately the manufacturer?

21st Jul 2007, 07:55

Comments ring true. Have a 05 Panda which I really like. I was on holiday recently when the power steering played up. The dealer were unbelievably unhelpful and rude. They damaged the dashboard during maintenance with scratches and left marks on the upholstery. Had to take it to another Fiat dealer who sorted the problem properly. They were OK, but so many of the Fiat dealers I have come across are pretty crap. LISTEN FIAT. YOUR DEALERS ARE RUBBISH!!!