1984 Ford Bronco Reviews

1984 Ford Bronco 5.8 351 Windsor from North America

Model year1984
Year of manufacture1983
Engine and transmission 5.8 351 Windsor Manual

Summary:

This is your gas-hogging dream car

U-Joints (about $500).

Speedometer cable.

Voltage regulator.

Oil pan/gasket.

Battery.

A lot of electrical/wiring work.

General Comments:

I got this car from a friend of the family last year for my first car.

Overall, I have had almost no issues with the truck, except for the U joints and oil pan/gasket.

The truck was taken off-road only one time because I didn't want to abuse it and possibly break something.

When it comes to the snow and two-trekking, this truck is unstoppable!! Although having to get out to engage the hubs is a nuisance, the truck grips like it does on the pavement.

Right now I am selling the truck because I cannot afford to take the truck on the four hour trip to college (I calculated about 6-8 mpg).

The other thing I'm not a huge fan of is the gearing ratios for the 3 speed. The creeper gear gets it up to about 5-10, first is 0 to 15, second is 15 to 25, and third is from 25 till however high you push it.

Overall though, I'm pretty impressed a Ford could make such a great car! I'm gonna miss this truck a ton!

Review Date: 23rd March, 2009

20th Apr 2009, 11:18

You aren't going to break that truck, you need to let it live.

I have an 83 Bronco, almost stock except the ignition. I put a points system in to make it more reliable in anything I go through, and I go through a lot. I put my truck through a lot of abuse, but it always lives.

But I do have to say stuff does go wrong. You just have to chance it. Believe me, it's worth it.

I suggest getting some 33" super swampers for it though.

1st Oct 2009, 18:34

What do you think a 83 Bronco with a rebuilt 302, with 35's on it, will get for gas mileage?

2nd Oct 2009, 18:04

To the above commenter:

Probably within the 8-12 MPG range. Depending on how you drive of course. Drive really frugally and you might be able to get as high as 18 MPG. But don't expect much higher than that.

1984 Ford Bronco 302 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1984
Engine and transmission 302 V8 Automatic
Previous carDodge Van

Summary:

I had to sell her for quick cash, but I have regretted that decision ever since

I rebuilt the carbeurator when I first got it.

Since then I've only had to replace the starter and the alternator.

General Comments:

She was big, ugly and loud.

However, she took anything that I threw at her and wanted more. She refused to give up.

She wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but she ruled it.

Review Date: 13th October, 2006

1984 Ford Bronco XLT 351 Windsor from North America

Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 351 Windsor Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

I want another Bronco- BAD!

Needed new brakes @ 170K miles.

A/C went out @ 160K miles.

Rear window motor was kind of tempermental.

Heater went out at around 178K miles.

General Comments:

I totally abused this Bronco and it always came back for more. I mean I took it in and out of some of the nastiest slop I could find when I was hunting and fishing and never once got stuck.

Review Date: 4th November, 2002

10th Nov 2004, 15:45

Well that's too bad that that happened to ya! I have a 1983 F-350 that I beat the brutal hell out of and man it takes a lickin and keeps on ticken, 460 V8 Powerhouse!!!

4th Apr 2009, 10:36

I have an 84 Bronco with a 302 with a Edelbrock 4 bbl carb on an Edelbrock preformer intake manifold. I have had it for 8 years and I love it as much if not more today than when I first bought it. It may not be very good on gas, but I don't really care, it's very dependable and parts are cheap for it and it's so easy to work on it's fun. I will never sell it, it's my baby and someday I am going to will it to my son.