1985 Ford Bronco II Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1985 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2.8 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 liter Manual
Previous carMercury Cougar

Summary:

An excellent, reliable small SUV

The vehicle ran fairly well when I purchased it, but I soon changed from the factory computer-controlled carburetor system to the older-style Duraspark ignition and standard carburetor. This made the engine much more reliable.

A little over a year after I bought the Bronco II, the engine blew two piston rings which basically ruined the engine. This was partially because of driving style and oil leaks that I did not keep a close enough eye on. No other parts of the engine showed unusual wear. I installed a re-manufactured engine after this happened.

The transfer case shift linkage was also out of adjustment when I first bought the vehicle. I could not shift into 4x4 low. This was a very simple problem to fix.

General Comments:

Despite the few small problems encountered with this vehicle, overall the Bronco II has performed excellent for me. I absolutely love this little 4x4. It drives and rides very comfortably, and although it may be a bit underpowered with the stock engine, it can run well on the highway. Gas mileage can also drop very low depending on driving style. I have had numbers everywhere from 10 mpg up to 22 mpg. I have however made a few simple engine modifications that have improved performance considerably and have helped my economy as well.

The Bronco II's small size and 4-wheel drive will take you anywhere you want to go, in comfort and security. I have had a lot of fun with this vehicle and I doubt I will ever get rid of it.

Review Date: 17th March, 2003

1985 Ford Bronco II 2.8L V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.8L V6 Manual
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

Weekend truck

Strange clicking in the engine, like it misses or needs tappet adjustments.

The head-liner has holes in it from some sort of a tool.

It required a new clutch when purchased.

Regular maintenance of course.

Low powered.

General Comments:

I am impressed to say the very least.

This vehicle has the feel of a responsive and agile 4x4, and astounds even the most experienced trail veterans. It has a confident feel and a distinct jeep like action, with the dependability of a Ford truck, and is a well designed system.

The Bronco II is worthy of a definite recommendation for an inexpensive, good performing machine.

I have no doubt this truck will impress you, and show you it is the truck for the

weekend warrior.

Review Date: 12th October, 2002

9th Jan 2004, 11:07

I have a 1986 Ford B II and I so far didn't have any problems with it and it has 318,139 kilometers on it. I only had to replace the battery. I can take it on sharp corners without it tipping because I can wipe donuts with it. To me they are reliable.

1985 Ford Bronco II 2.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Suburban

Summary:

It's old and expensive to run, but I wouldn't trade it for a new vehicle

Air Conditioner Leaks Freon (next thing to be fixed)

Automatic Overdrive Transmission required rebuild ($1500)

Rear Drive shaft replaced ($200)

I had to rebuild the carburetor ($25 for the kit)

Leaky valve covers (tightened them myself)

Replaced the alternator.

Cruise Control hasn't worked since I've owned it.

General Comments:

I traded a computer for this 4x4 in running condition, but needing some work. The transmission had just been "rebuilt" by a fly-by-nite shop and about 10,000 miles later, I had to put it back in for a complete rebuild by another shop who also replaced the rear drive shaft with a custom one that uses regular u-joints vice the CV-joint shaft than comes from the factory.

Overall, it's been a very good vehicle for me and very reliable even when the transmission was acting up. It's a bit hard to keep running when the engine is cold, but once it's warmed for a couple of minutes, it's ready to go anywhere.

With it's 4.10 gear ratio, it gets about 12-13 miles per gallon, city or highway. It's handling takes some getting used to. It's never been raised, but is running taller than stock tires. It will turn around in a goat trail and go almost anywhere I care to drive it. And during winter storms, it's kept me going.

Review Date: 21st August, 2002

18th Jun 2004, 16:26

Since you have had some Transmission problems with your bronco, maybe you can help. I have a 85 Eddie Bauer automatic v-6. The transmission got hot and blew all the fluid out. Had new seal installed, but the fluid still blew out around the seal after 3 tries! The seal is still intact. Am at a lose as to what to do next. Any hints would be greatly appreciated? Have blown out the hoses, etc because it sounds like a pressure problem, still no success???

22nd Jun 2004, 20:16

Well, I have a 89 bronco full size with the same problem. I found out one of my leaks is from the dip stick filler tube. maybe you can try that...

17th Nov 2009, 09:25

I hope you can help me!? I bought an 85 Bronco II for 300 from a family friend. The transmission in it didn't have reverse and overdrive, so we fixed the other transmission that had reverse in it. It drove perfect for about 4 hours. While we were going down the road, I went to push on the gas and all that happened was a grinding sound and the truck would not move. It's not grinding gears, it is grinding something in the transmission. Before we left the house, we put 5 quarts of transmission fluid in it. Then about 4 hours later when it quit, we checked and the transmission is bone dry with metal shavings. So we walked down the road and put 3 more quarts in and pushed it off the road, but by morning it had all leaked out. Do you have any suggestions?

17th Nov 2009, 16:08

My suggestion is that you cut your losses and get a better car.

Sometimes $300 is not such a great deal after all.