1974 Ford Cortina Reviews

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 351 V8 Manual
Most recent distance198000 kilometres
Previous carFord Capri

Summary:

V8 Cortina, that's what I'm talking about, say no more

Since fitting the V8 I am constantly finding myself replacing diffs after party's.

For some reason rear tires require replacement more often than front.

I had slight over heating problems to begin with, problem solved with a Chev Camaro radiator and after market oil cooler.

The car had major rust issue when I got it, since its been patched and repainted.

The door handles are consistently breaking.

General Comments:

This car is total madness. The 351 is a big step up from the 250 automatic.

Handling leaves a lot to be desired.

The transformation from the 6 pack to V8 is well worth the money and time, I recommend it to anyone with a old Cortina.

Review Date: 7th February, 2004

22nd Jun 2004, 22:16

Hi. I have a 1975 Cortina, and I was wondering what modification's I could do to it to pick up some chicks. Plaese reply with options to mhoskins@sts.tas.edu.au

Thanks heaps.

23rd Aug 2004, 07:36

Hi, I am in the process of debate. I owned a 2V 250 TC Cortina, and loved it.

I now have another TC Cortina, which I would really like install a Boss 302 in. My problem is the law. I am in Perth, have you had any trouble with this? As far as I am concerned, the Cortina should have come with a V8 as standard, but the law is the law. Are you able to shed any light on the subject?

I really don't want to get rid of the TC, but I feel I may have no option. If this is the case, you will be seeing a very silly XT Ute on W.A. roads very shortly.

5th Aug 2007, 07:56

In regards to registration on your TC after a V8 transplant.

I live in SA, and you can just about register an old boot with a jet engine in it here, as long as there is 10% tread left on it.

The art of getting the transplant through registration is to go into consultation with your local department, and advise them of what you intend to do; ask them for advice, and if they can forward you any or all information that will be required.

If your modifications fall within the guide lines they have given you, then they can't knock you back.

Make sure that you keep the info, and present it at the time of inspection.

I have a friend that is running a worked 351 in a Datsun Sunny ute that is street legal. (WOW what a ride)

A Cortina is a lot easier. Be it a 4 or a 6 to start with, there is very little structural work "If any" to be done, so I say give it a go. Just remember to keep it all looking clean and tidy. That part is a must.

Bob.

1974 Ford Cortina 250 X-flow from Australia and New Zealand

Previous carHolden HZ

Summary:

A petrol drinker, but worth it for the power, a beautiful drive

The radiator leaks a little.

The seats were never that comfortable, but not that bad where you can't stand them.

The starter motor busted.

Some wires were fried trying to put a new tape deck in.

General Comments:

With the new motor, nothing can touch me.

I put Escort mags on her, so the car is lower to the ground, so it sticks to the road like there is no tomorrow.

It smashes my mates worked Torana.

She has a twin throat carby. Twin Webbers. They make her howl.

Review Date: 18th February, 2003

1974 Ford Cortina XLE 3.0 essex V6 from South Africa

First year of ownership1974
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.0 essex V6 Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

The best Ford ever build in South Africa

The front suspension rubbers collapsed at about 165,000 Kilometres. The car's ignition was worn out badly the last year, and I replaced it with a secondhand unit from a Mk V Cortina.

The gearbox also does not stay in second gear of you decellerate (but that is after more than 280,000 Km).

I replaced the rings, oil pump, bearings and water pump at 300,000 Km.

General Comments:

This car is very reliable and very quick if one takes the model and the kilometres it has done. I can take on the latest 325 BMW and cars in that class without being ashamed. I recently experimented with a camshaft replacement (very mild cam 2000 to 6200 road) and I can tell you it worked very well. I can get a speed of +- 210 km/h at about 5700 RPM. This thing goes!

Review Date: 6th July, 2002