2004 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

It's a beautiful headache

Since I purchased vehicle in Nov of 2008.

Replaced battery at 100,000 miles.

Replaced alternator.

Replaced steering shaft.

Replaced transmission.

Constant electrical problems.

General Comments:

I love a lot of things about this SUV, however it hasn't been very reliable since I purchased it.

It started with the battery, which is a common thing, but from there the alternator went. I feel like every time I fix a problem, another one occurs, and they are never simple or cheap.

The transmission went at around 100,000.

The new battery would keep dying on me. I was told it could be so many different reasons until finally a Ford dealer was able to figure out it was the rear wiper blade. The rear wiper never worked, but it didn't bother me. But then it became a problem when the motor was trying to move the wiper, which was stuck in place. It would keep trying to get itself back into the park position, and it was draining the battery. It was something so stupid I couldn't believe it. It left me running around to so many different experts telling me it's a bad battery or it's my alternator when both were new.

The power steering started going stiff on me. I had it looked at and was told nothing was wrong. It got worse and found out the steering shaft needed to be replaced.

And now the electricals seem to be acting up on me. The truck shut off on my while driving, and now my dash board lights, my fog lights, and my daytime running rears don't work. I put a new fuse in and it blows immediately.

I should have known better than to think this could be a cheap and easy fix. I've only owned this SUV for a little over a year now, and I can't go a month without something needing to be fixed. I keep very good care of it. I keep up with my general maintenance. It's just a shame I feel like it was poorly built and the side molding on the exterior doors have faded white, and I know this is a very common problem.

There's a lot of interior noise, and just little things here and there. I just can't keep dumping money into it anymore. Since ownership I've sunk over 4K into it. I'll probably stay away from Ford on my next purchase, and it's a shame because I enjoy the beefiness of this SUV. It has bigger tires, mirrors, a more truck like feel and ride, and a lot more interior space than a Tahoe, but too many headaches.

Review Date: 28th February, 2010

2004 Ford Expedition EB 5.4 from North America

Summary:

Great car, we love it!!

I have a 2004 EB Expedition, and overall I have not had much of a problem with it! I have owned three Expeditions, and none have ever left me or even had a major problem!

With one the leather seat split, and I had to have them fixed, but they covered the problem.

The coil went bad at 43000 miles; the third spark plug coil.

I agree with an another post, if you take care of your car, it will last, but you must take care of your car and maintain it as well! If you are going to buy used, you should take someone who knows what they are looking at, cause they might be able to detect something you might miss if you're not familiar with the car!

Review Date: 27th May, 2009

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

Plenty of room for the family, beautiful looks. Great truck!

Nothing to date.

General Comments:

Excellent vehicle, no problems as of yet. Noisy tires, but not Ford's fault, previous owner did not rotate regularly. A new set will cure that.

Overall fit and finish leaves a little to be desired with a few minor rattles and squeaks which should not be present in a vehicle whose original selling price was $52000!

Excellent acceleration and braking, numerous creature comforts, and overly spacious. Only performance complaint I have is that passing acceleration on the highway leaves a bit to be desired. Pedal to the floor only marginally speeds up truck enough to adequately pass another vehicle quickly, surprising especially for a V8.

Review Date: 28th November, 2007

2004 Ford Expedition EDDIE BAUER 5.4 triton from North America

Summary:

FORD = Found On Road Dead

Transmission was replaced by Ford. Solenoid and starter problems came up after 10K miles and have lingered on. dealer replaced solenoid? then starter when the problem surfaced again. unusual tore wear on the front tires, and in troubleshooting, ford said front brake pads could be replaced soon.

General Comments:

The car is comfortable, it carries our family with no problems.

Great command view of the road, you feel like a king on the road.

Everyone else has to drive around you. Very roomy, and nice ergonomics on the inside.

Review Date: 9th August, 2005

7th Oct 2005, 20:46

Yeah with a ford expedition 50 mph might be pushing it.

23rd Mar 2006, 15:59

We love our 2004 Ford Expedition! Linda P.

23rd Mar 2006, 17:55

Turn off your 4x4 and get the front end aligned. 4x4 is only meant for under 40mph.

24th Mar 2006, 09:37

This review just proves, yet again, that SUV owners know nothing about their trucks or how to drive them.

But it does explain why SUV owners are responsible for more accidents than any other group.

2004 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4 Liter V8 from North America

Summary:

Exactly right for a SUV 4X4 with a towing package

The built-in compass was not set properly for the area of the country that I live in. The compass was easily set the the correct area by myself.

General Comments:

The vehicle is a suprisingly physically comfortable and handles very well even though is is a 4X4 SUV.

The ride is very smooth compared to other 4X4 vehicles that I have driven or owned.

The power and response of the vehicle is more than adequate with smooth acceleration with a quiet ride.

Review Date: 21st April, 2004