1999 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT 7.3L turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

This truck has been worth every penny, period

Shortly after I bought it, I had to have the starter replaced. I did get a warranty with it though, so it only cost me $100 for a $480 ticket.

In the last month, it has started doing a weird thing, where while driving along, the power cuts out and it goes to half power, drains the battery, and then won't start again. Let it sit for a day, jump it and it starts right up, runs awesome, then does the same.

General Comments:

This is by far the strongest truck I have ever owned, it pulls like no other and has mass power. Simply tows like a dream.

On a long trip, the seats are not real comfy for me. I'm a fairly big guy (6'3" 240) and the driver seat just seems to be very narrow. I drove a buddy's '01, and they did improve on the seat for sure.

Review Date: 11th August, 2010

1999 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.8L (V10) from North America

Summary:

This truck lives up to its motto "Built Ford Tough"

Alignment issue was wearing tires and pulling very hard to one side-replaced tie rod ends, ball joints (went to the grease-able kind that are on F-450/F-550 trucks) replaced the front rotors and pads, replaced spindle bearings, replaced sway bar bushings, sway bar links, steering stabilizer, and all new seals in the front axle. Then had aligned. Mileage on vehicle was 151,856.

Auto Hubs were inoperable, replaced excluder seals and 4x4 vacuum valve. Mileage on vehicle was 154,965.

General Comments:

Great for towing and driving down the road, very comfortable even on long trips.

Interior is decent (we have the Lariat package and it is crew cab) we have plenty of room inside even in the back seat, our Chevy is miserable to sit in the back seat for any long trip (but it is only extended cab)

Gas Mileage is decent for a V-10 we average 12 around town and on the highway we can get 1-2 mpg better.

Oil changes and most routine maintenance is cheaper than a diesel, but we will buy a diesel next time.

Biggest downfall of this truck is that repairs and everyday driving can be rather costly. When we purchased this F-250 we knew the expenditures to expect when owning a big truck, I see too many people buy these big trucks and expect parts to be cheap and to get good mileage, but the 3/4 or bigger trucks can be rather costly. I have spent almost $3500.00 alone in my alignment issue and auto hubs inoperable. My 1/2 ton Chevy gets 18 mpg and parts are considerably cheaper, but my Chevy will not pull a trailer any where near the weight the Ford will pull.

Review Date: 21st July, 2007

1999 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT 7.3 turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

I'd recommend it to anyone, it's a great truck!

The alternator needed to be replaced after 4 years of owning it.

As I was getting a regular oil change, the man putting the oil in put in about 15 gallons instead of quarts and ended blowing the engine, with oil coming out everywhere (literally). After being able to finally get it started, it ran fine, but was missing and was only running on 6 cylinders (it's a V8). About a year later the engine totally messed up and the cylinders needed fixing, and many other things that had blown because of that oil incident.

General Comments:

I have a Super Chip in my F250 and it gives that truck so much more power and it really feels like a beast. It is a WONDERFUL truck and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a truck or to men who want a toy.

I have put 37" tires on it and am soon going to put 39"s. It has Fabtech Suspension and Rancho Shocks. This truck has been a great truck.

Review Date: 17th November, 2005

1999 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT 4x4 Supercab 7.3 diesel from North America

Summary:

I'd keep this truck forever if it wasn't so expensive to operate and maintain

75,000 miles: Ran rough; Injector, glow plug, and glow plug relay all replaced (warranty).

85,000 miles: Ran rough and white smoke from exhaust at cold start; Injector, glow plug, and glow plug relay replaced (warranty).

90,000 miles: T-case wouldn't shift; Rebuilt with new shaft, cluster gear and shift fork. $850. Also, parking brake cable broke. $60.

97,000 miles: Ran rough and white smoke from exhaust at cold start; Two injectors and a glow plug relay replaced (warranty).

115,000 miles: Motor cuts out; Camshaft position sensor replaced. $89 ($212 from Ford.)

120,000 miles: Ran rough and white smoke from exhaust at cold start; replaced three injectors, glow plug relay and air box. $2100.

128,000 miles: Clutch would not disengage; replaced master and slave cylinders, clutch and refitted transmission input shaft for new pilot bearing. $1100.

General Comments:

Good looking truck. Good ride - handles well for a 3/4 ton pick-up. Fairly comfortable. Okay fuel mileage. Expensive to maintain.

This was the first year of the new Super-Duty body style. The transfer case problem was due to a thin shift fork. Ford changed the design of this and the related parts, but I don't know what year they started the change.

The camshaft positions sensors are prone to failure. Ford wants over $200 for this part. International sells the same part for less than $100. It's not a bad idea to keep a spare in your glove box because it can go out all at once leaving you completely stranded -- you just need a 10mm wrench to change it.

Our latest mechanic said the problem with the multiple fuel injector failures is not typical and was caused by a small break in the air box that allowed the engine to aspirate unfiltered air. This was not a Ford mechanic. The Ford mechanics that did the warranty work did not noticed the broken air box. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't break it themselves.

I'm horrified by Ford's mechanics, their cavalier attitude toward customer service and their parts prices. They did an okay job of getting the truck into the bay, but the mechanics failed to find what was causing the problem. This and the parts prices will be the reason I will not buy a Ford product again -- at least not if it's under warranty and not unless there's a substantial supply of aftermarket parts for the vehicle.

Overall, I really like this truck. It has been really hard on our budget though. I enjoy driving it, but I do not find the driver's seat comfortable for long trips. It tows well, especially with the 6-speed manual; but it's not the best for hauling the really heavy trailers. I get 14-15 MPG highway and 15-16 with the tailgate off (at 70-80 MPH). Towing a 7000 pound trailer, it gets about 12 MPG.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2005