1998 Ford Falcon Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1998 Ford Falcon EL GLi V8 Wagon 4.9 windsor V8 from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 4.9 windsor V8 Automatic
Previous carHolden Commodore

Summary:

An excellent tow beast

Air conditioner compressor needed to be replaced. That's about it.

The car was basically very well maintained by the previous owner.

General Comments:

This car is an excellent tow machine it might not have the power and torque as the newer Falcons and Commodores, but it does a great job.

Its comfortable and very well made.

It looks great with XR rims on it. The exterior and interior is spotless. The fuel economy isn't too bad unless I am towing it likes to drink. I think the EL falcons was one of the best ever made so far.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2004

1998 Ford Falcon EL Futura 4.0L six from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 4.0L six Automatic
Previous carFord Falcon

Summary:

A beautiful, reliable, high performance and strong vehicle

Rear rotors and pads needed replacing.

Headlight bulb needed replacing.

Injectors and throttle body needed cleaning.

General Comments:

It's a fully optioned Futura, the last before the AU's. I've only had the car a couple of month, but it's been great.

Cheap to run. It's on dual fuel and $20 of LPG can get me up to 350-400 kays. A $55 tank full of petrol lasts up to 600 kays.

It's a beautiful, comfortable car to drive.

Looks mean and performs really well. The big 6 has bags of torque and 157kw of power is ample. Very strong power and torque at higher revs.

4 speed auto seems nervous sometimes, but generally shifts well, especially in power mode.

Well appointed and attractive interior, ergonomic. Good driving position. The rear headrests are a nice touch.

It's lowered on tickford suspension so handles quite well. Though it's a big car it's easy to throw around corners.

I'm only 21 so I feel spoiled driving such a nice car. A beautiful machine. I am proud to own another tough reliable Falcon (previous car was 5-speed EA S-pack). I love this car.

Review Date: 20th November, 2003

15th Jun 2004, 00:27

I wrote this original survey. I'd like to now add that I have fitted the EL with 17" rims with low profile tyres, and it handles even better.

Recently, someone tried to break into it by jimmying the lock and it's since been playing up (sometimes won't lock or unlock with remote)

It's now got 172,000 kays on the clock and I've been given the full service history on the car and it's been cheap and undemanding to maintain prior to me purchasing it. I recently drove it interstate (1200 kms each way, stopped only for fuel both ways) and it didn't miss a beat. It was so comfortable to drive for hours on end.

28th Oct 2008, 19:39

The AU cam out 1998 September not April, I have a 1998 June 1998 EL Futura.

1998 Ford Falcon Futura 4.0 OHC from South Africa

Engine and transmission 4.0 OHC Semi-Automatic
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

I really love this car and would do anything to get it right.

This is my first Falcon Futura, and my purchase was based on sound advice received from caravan owners throughout the region. I own a SA manufactured caravan which weighs in at about 1,3 metric tonnes and in this instance, the Falcon was recommended as the most effective tow car currently available on the market. At this point, I wish to stress, that although the car was fully imported from Australia to South Africa as rolling stock, the agents here carry full back-up stock and have a sound working knowledge of the vehicle. As I took delivery of this extremely well-maintained previously-owned car, I was assured that the vehicle was free of 'problems.' Needless to say, that was when the fun began. Two and a half months later, replaced items included the windscreen, the complete steering rack, the entire speedo-cruise system including servo, the rear bench seat, the headlamp selector switch, both front shock-absorbers and the glove box lock and lever. The air-conditioner has been completely overhauled, but still leaks into the car near the front left-hand floor pan.

Over and above this fantastic comedy of errors, there exists the most astonishing groan in the front end.

It's hard to clearly describe the sound, perhaps it is closest to the sound an old wooden fishing vessel makes while moored to the side of a jetty - that sort of creaking, flexing sound - and this happens every time the steering wheel is turned to the left or right while the car is in motion.

The noise is loudest when braking and turning simultaneously.

General Comments:

The local agents - Pioneer Ford - have gone far beyond the call of duty to track down this problem, but to no avail.

Is there any Falcon owner out there who is aware of this problem and can possibly shed some light on this matter?

Review Date: 25th February, 2003

9th Jul 2006, 15:52

I think you definitely got a lemon. I live in Australia and my family has owned several Falcons, and they have been completely and utterly reliable.

If you have a 1998 Falcon, it is either an EL or AU. If it is an AU, I know many of them had problems, as they were a completely new car at the time, and I don't believe that Ford put enough into engineering it, but if it is an EL, I think you got a lemon, pure and simple.

Anyway, good luck with it.

30th Jul 2012, 01:38

I'm not sure if you ever got this sorted. The groaning you speak of could be the two mounting bolts that hold the steering rack in place. It was a repair they called the AU in for.