1980 Ford Fiesta Supersport 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fantastic Fun!

Never had any problems with the car.

Is always kept regularly serviced etc.

General Comments:

Ford Fiesta MK1 Supersport, a great little MK1 Fiesta, with lots character and easy/cheap to run and maintain.

OK, it's not the fastest or the most comfortable Fiesta, but it's still really great fun to drive.

Lovely simple interior, with just a speedo, rev counter and temp/fuel gauges in front of you, all mounted inside a simple pod.

Fiesta MK1's have a fantastic club scene as well, so parts and help are always available, if needed. Have a look at -

www.fiesta-mk1.co.uk

Review Date: 21st May, 2008

1980 Ford Fiesta L 957 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Worthy old timer

Front brakes seized on after car was stood for 6 months.

Seats badly worn.

Mystery water leak.

General Comments:

This is a top little car and offers great town driving.

This car has a genuine 35000 miles on the clock and has been in our family since new.

The interior is a little sparse, but we can forgive the old lady that.

Review Date: 21st December, 2004

1980 Ford Fiesta L 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent little runner

Nothing much. It almost always started at the first turn of the key. It sometimes took three or four turns in wet weather though.

The one annoying fault was the stalling. This was particularly evident in wet weather too! My wife used to get very upset by this! She maintained that the car did it in a sly sort of way. She would pull up at a junction & comment on how quiet it had gone. The only noise would be the rubbing of the windscreen wipers still playing their merry tune, back & forth across the window. Then she would look down & notice those little square lights on the dashboard. The red one with the battery on it & the orange one with the oil can. She's not a big user of swear words, but that scenario used to lead to a few being used!

General Comments:

These stalling episodes revealed another frustration that comes with all Fords. You have to turn the key back first before attempting to re-start the engine. The first time my wife "stopped" she didn't know this. the car had chosen to stall while she was queued in a busy roundabout too. The car behind nearly drove into us while she desperately battled with the keys.

Apart from the stalling this was the best little car either of us has ever owned.

The acceleration was great from an engine so small.

The reliability was great too. It never let either of us down, always re-starting after the "stalling" episodes.

I'd have another tomorrow if I could find one.

Review Date: 11th July, 2003

13th Jan 2006, 17:32

And in addition to spraying some sort of silicone spray lubricant in the distributor cap, also spray it on the wires. It should be noted that although this does work, it's the cheap, temporary fix. The spray displaces water away from cracked wires or distributor caps with carbon tracks, which make the spark path short out before it reaches your plugs. This is a last act of desperation to get you to the parts store to buy a new cap and plug wires. We used to have the exact same problem on our '76 Dodge. It would stall in the rain, and Dad was too cheap to buy new cap and wires.

1980 Ford Fiesta Decor 1.6 modified to XR2 specs from North America

Summary:

The best engineered and most connected

Well, since the car was modified (in 1991), the only things that have gone wrong were simple adjustments, which had to be made in order for it to run properly, such as re-jetting the carburetor. The worst thing that ever happened was when I replaced the lower ball joint and didn't seat the locking bolt properly. The joint let go when I was slowly pulling out of a gas station. It was an easy fix, though.

General Comments:

The Mk1 (1978-80) Ford Fiesta is a wonderfully engineered car, which is simple to work on. It has a bullet-proof 4 speed transmission and comes stock with an in-line 4 cylinder, all-iron, Formula Ford (Kent) racing engine. All 78-80 Fiestas have this engine! Once you get past the Fiestas problem areas (brakes and engine cooling), you'll have an indestructible and inexpensive little pocket rocket. There are a few companies which are still dedicated to selling Mk1 Fiesta parts. Parts are inexpensive and most are readily available.

Review Date: 10th July, 2003

22nd Jul 2004, 22:51

Could you tell me where to find such hi-performance parts thanks.

22nd Jun 2007, 21:05

6/22/07-

1978-1980 Mk1 Fiesta parts are becoming scarce in the USA. There are only a few places to buy new and used parts; B.A.T. (British American Transfer in Sarasota, FL.), Fiesta-Centre.co.uk in the UK, RockAuto.com, and eBay.com. Most performance parts are virtually impossible to find.

THIS JUST IN...

Ford will be reintroducing the Fiesta to the American Market in 2008. While it is nothing like its great grandfather, the Mk1, it is still a great economical rocket of a car.

Dean- US FIESTA ENTHUSIASTS MODERATOR

1980 Ford Fiesta 1..3 from North America

Summary:

A great, dependable, low budget car

My fuel pump went bad.

My water pump went bad.

General Comments:

This is the first car I picked out for myself and it runs like a dream. I love my little red Fiesta.

I dont mind spending the money on parts for my car. I will spend whatever I need to keep my car running.

Review Date: 18th April, 2002

1st Aug 2009, 22:31

I had a 1978 Ford Fiesta that I wish I still had today. They are great basic cars that are economical with spirited performance.

1980 Ford Fiesta Rally car 1.6 CVH from a 84-89 XR2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An ideal base car for a young rally-driver on a budget

An electric fuel pump which I fitted in the engine bay didn't work until I fitted it beside fuel tank under the floor. Always read instructions supplied with new products.

Engine mountings must be renewed to cope with the extra power of 1.6 CVH engine. XR2 gear-box mounting also recommended.

Constant Velocity Ball Joints in the drive shafts must be kept greased and covered with fresh rubber boots.

General Comments:

The Mk1 Ford Fiesta is an ideal first rally-car for anyone serious about progressing in front wheel drive rallying.

They handle superbly.

Parts are cheap.

The shell is extremely versatile accepting parts out of most Fords of its era and today.

At 20 years old the Mk1 Fiesta is rapidly replacing the Mk2 Escort as the car that the average motorist learnt to drive in. People have fond memories of these cars.

Review Date: 26th April, 2001

28th Jan 2004, 09:43

The Mk1 engine is a X-flow not CVH which belongs to a Mk2 Fiesta.