2003 Ford Focus Reviews - Page 19 of 19

2003 Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI 115 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 1.8 TDCI 115 Manual
Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

The best car in its class

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

These are great cars, this is my second Focus. I looked at other cars in its class and the only one that came anywhere near close was the Peugeot 307.

Performance is excellent for a diesel, its definitely quicker than my previous 1.6, especially on the motorway. Economy seems to be good. Its also very refined for a diesel.

The only real gripe I have about the Focus is the lack of standard ABS.

Otherwise I can't think of anything that comes close for the money.

Review Date: 7th February, 2003

15th May 2003, 04:25

A quick note to say that ABS is now standard for the entire Focus range.

9th Jan 2004, 10:33

My company car came up for replacement recently and I had the choice of a 307 HDi (90 bhp) or Focus TD (with the old 90 bhp Di lump). I had each car for a day and did about 300 miles in each. The Focus wasn't a hard choice. The Peugeot engine was sweeter (remember my Focus is the rattly old Di lump and not the newer TDCi like yours which is much smoother), but the Focus was quicker, better handling, better riding (surprised me too) and generally much more interesting to drive. The engine, despite the awful noise it makes is very lively (the 115 PS diesel must fly!), and the funky interior is a cut above Peugeot's faux-German coal hole drabness. To be brutally honest, my gut feeling when I handed back the 307 keys, was that my old 306 was a far nicer car.

10,000 miles later, I'm not regretting my choice to go for the Focus. If I'd had the choice of the TDCi engine, the car would be pretty much perfect as small hatches go. Even with a rough, ancient (although punchy) engine that really doesn't deserve to be in such a great car, the whole package still appeals. Says a lot really.