2006 Ford Ka 1.3 Duratec petrol from Denmark

Built from very thin metal and held together with flimsy plastic taps

A/C not working.

Heater broken/malfunctioning.

Steering shakes at highway speeds.

Tonnes of rust, especially around/under the tank filler cap, and the bottoms of doors are rusted.

Rear springs broken.

Battery went flat (probably due to the aftermarket engine/cabin heater, which requires the fan to be run together with it).

Lots (I mean LOTS) of water entered the trunk via the tail lamps; I have fixed it with duct tape. Also holes in the rear body caused by previous owner slamming the rear hatch way too hard when closing it. The thin metal sheet can't stand for that, so the "stop pads" (don't know what they are called in English) have hammered holes in the body, which I have covered with duct tape to slow the rust growing from those holes.

I have seen other Ford KAs with the exact same impact damage on the hatch as ours; people are simple banging that door way too hard. A little shame, because if one closes the hatch door the way it is meant to be closed, that is lowering the door with the hand grip inside, and then closing it with light force, it would have lasted. But people, especially women, think that the hatch door must be closed with the biggest possible BANG - and the metal is simply not strong enough to withstand that.

General Comments:

Bodywork is of very bad quality and craftsmanship. Built from the cheapest available materials.

Replacing the front light bulbs is a NIGHTMARE; never seen such impractical "solution" before.

The good things are there's lots of joy when driving and cornering in the city and back roads. And it's relatively silent in the cabin when doing so. Brakes are very, very easy, and have a wonderful "feel" of precision to them.

Door locks, electric side windows and such are good and work fine.

BUT when you take it on the highway, it becomes loud (not louder than other small cars though) - and the shaking in the steering wheel begins.

The electric fan makes an annoying, rattling noise.

You could ask why we bought such a low quality car?? - Well my girlfriend fell in love with that sweet little yellow KA, and I found it cute also. I thought "well, one used mini car is just as good as the other, it's not important if it is a Ford or Toyota or Mazda or whatever" - And it was only 8 years old, so it couldn't be that bad. And I honestly admit that I didn't really look closely at it, just bought it for the girlfriend. BIG mistake. I will never ever buy something with the brand Ford on it again...

Of course I am aware that the previous owner was a woman, and they don't always treat cars well. If I had owned the car from new myself, all those terrible things wouldn't have happened to it And a car so fragile as a Ford KA simply can't withstand it. We still have our KA; it will have to last for 10 months more. Our plan is to buy another car September 2016; not sure which brand, but not Ford...

Review Date: 18th November, 2015

2006 Ford Ka from South Africa

I bought my Ford Ka brand new, and not six months later, the overheating problem started. A few months later the head gasket blew.

It seemed to be going fine until last year, September, when my car started overheating again. A heat valve was replaced, then after that a thermostat fan was replaced. I was reassured that the problem had been resolved, until last month a new engine had to be replaced due to all the overheating problems.

Had my car back for a few days, when it went back in again (it had a knocking noise). Apparently it was the right front link rod, which come loose (which I've been told is not related to the engine being replaced), yet it wasn't like that when my car went in. I was told that a new engine, is like having a brand new car again... We will just have to wait and see, as my car had to go in again after it was replaced... I'm just so tired of all this...

To make matters worse, this dealership is not at all helpful... and now I have to pay the extra costs of the engine, even after they admitted that it was due to all the heating problems...

Review Date: 21st January, 2010

14th Jan 2011, 05:37

I also have a 2006 KA, and have had all the same problems. It's been a nightmare. I broke down due to overheating, which only started the day before, and now low water light went on. I now have to pay for it myself, even though I know I have been looking after the car very well. I'm very disappointed in Ford SA, and the way they can sell a faulty line to the public, and take no responsibility for when the car has problems.

14th Mar 2011, 09:01

I also drive a Ford KA 2006.

I had to return it 3 x in the first three months due to overheating and fan problems - my fan never switched off! I didn't receive a lot of help, but a lot of shrugging! My dealership really didn't help me. Since then I am manually checking the water weekly - to make sure it is at the right level - so not to overheat and cannot drive further than 40 - 50 kms! My car only has 36200 km on the clock!

4th May 2011, 04:46

2006 Ford Ka seems to have been dumped on SA market. Overheating, no fans working, A/C blows hot air, skimming the cylinder head and now misfire.

What is worse, they are obviously aware of the problems, yet they sold a faulty vehicle and expect the consumer to keep forking out for inherent problems.