1970 Ford Maverick Grabber 302 from North America

Summary:

A wonderful head turner

My Maverick is the first year with the Grabber package, which meant dual mirrors and a strip package on hood and sides of car.

I replaced the 170 six cylinder with a 302, along with bigger coil springs, and am still running with the small 7.5 rear end, with no problems. I have an 8.8 ready to go in though.

I love this car, and man does it turn heads. This is my second Maverick Grabber, my first was a 72 with the hood scoops, white with orange stripes, I always regretted selling it.

I am currently working on the interior, replacing piece by piece when parts are available.

General Comments:

The best part of having a Maverick to cruse around in is that you just don't see many any more.

It had a small three speed standard transmission, which I replaced with a C-4, next year I plant to put a five speed in, and that will be the extent of my restoration.

The V-8 along with the shear lightness of the Maverick makes it a force to be reckoned with.

Review Date: 8th August, 2007

1970 Ford Maverick Grabber 302 5.0L from North America

Summary:

Very fast Ford that isn't the same old Mustang

The original running gear (250 six-cylinder automatic) was still in place at time of purchase with no visible problems. For performance reasons, I replaced it with a 302 V8 and a 5 speed manual.

Front suspension components were replaced on a regular basis until I rebuilt the entire front suspension.

Rear axle seals leaked, axle was OK but I replaced it with a heavy-duty 9-inch rearend.

General Comments:

Car has been a suprisingly reliable 12 second 1/4 mile car.

It's been a daily driver with monthly track trips since 1997.

Interior is mostly original and still in great shape.

The car is very light, to the tune of 2900 lbs, even with the heavier engine and rearend. I have done no weight reduction at all.

It's very sporty looking, with original Grabber stripes and bright orange color.

Review Date: 18th January, 2002

1970 Ford Maverick Grabber 302 from North America

Only general maintainance.

General Comments:

Great car, very fast and fairly reliable, and it sure turns heads!

Review Date: 1st December, 1999

27th Feb 2004, 10:10

Many old Fords, including my comet develop squeaky control arms. Once they've started squeaking, nothing can be done to stop it. Grease fittings will help if installed before they begin to squeak. Otherwise, replacement is the only option. My '74 squeaks and my mothers '68 cougar is the same way. I love my car though!