1997 Ford Probe GT 2.5 liter from North America

Summary:

The Probe GT is fast, sleek and full of fun

My distributor went bad.

Exhausted needed replacement, however it was stock.

Water pump was replaced as well, and also was stock.

General Comments:

This car is extremely quick for what you pay. The ride is smooth, and handles better any other car I've driven.

The body really shines on this car. It's sleek and can really turn heads in prime condition.

The interior is good, however the back seats are really cramped. Fitting one person back there is hard enough, filling it seems unrealistic.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2005

1997 Ford Probe GT 2.5 DOHC V6 from North America

Summary:

Remarkable

Some things wrong with the car are:

1. The Air conditionaing and heating vents are cheap and fall apart to easily.

2. The frame-less windows aren't the best, the rubber window sill needs to be replace after so many years.

3. The center console needs to be made better.

4. In general A lot of the parts inside the car feel cheap.

5. The leather seats aren't of the best quality. (They crack to easy)

6. The factory paint is awful, and will have to be re-painted after about 6-7 years. (Scratches easily)

General Comments:

I have always wanted a Probe and will most defiantly keeps this one until it dies.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great reliable car, and the steering is exceptional. However, it lacks build quality, and durability. It is VERY responsive and quick (GT, V6) but, whatever you do don't get an automatic, 5 speeds are much more reliable and add to the sporty nature of the car. The looks of the car are ingenious; this car never goes out of style.

All in all the probe is a great car. Defiantly a 9 out of ten.

Review Date: 25th February, 2005

1997 Ford Probe SE 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Not worth the money

Where do I start!

Both rear axles needed to be replaced.

The shocks that hold the hatchback up no longer work.

No air conditioning - approximately $1500.00 to get fixed.

Clutch went out - no estimates, not fixed; just happened.

General Comments:

Although the car looks sharp and sporty I'm still trying to find the power that everybody seems to be ranting and raving about! In the SE model there are absolutely no extras. No power windows, power locks... I don't even have rear defrost.

The one good thing I can say about this car is that the gas mileage is excellent, by far the most gas-efficient car I've driven.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2005

24th Jan 2005, 08:15

If you wanted power you should have gotten the V6.

As it is, sounds like you got a strippo base model (hope it was cheap!). If you can afford it, you should trade it in for something you like.

Life's too short to drive crappy cars, even ones that get good gas mileage.

24th Jan 2005, 11:29

I have a 93 Ford Probe SE and I have all power.

But I do agree it's no worth the money.

My car has many simple problems that is expensive to fix or hard to find because they have discontinued the parts.

2nd Apr 2005, 12:58

The Ford Probe does not have rear axles.

It has McPherson struts.

14th May 2005, 14:34

If you find it hard to get parts, try a Mazda dealer, as the Mazda MX-6 shares most mechanical parts with the Probe and most are still stocked.

1st Apr 2016, 00:55

Here it is, 11 years later and you still haven't figured out how to attach your wheels to the McPherson struts on your Ford Probe (the one with no rear axles).

1997 Ford Probe GTS 2.5 DOHC Quad Cam from North America

Summary:

A Budget Sleeper that will surprise those around you

Transmission blew out at 126k miles. Mechanic. said this was EXTREMELY common for probes with the auto. anywhere after 50k.

Slight water pump leak, dumped some stop leak in and its been fine for 2 months now.

General Comments:

This is my second probe. first was a turbo 89 5 speed. I got 325k miles out of it. I have always loved the fluid design of the newer probes so when I saw my GTS I HAD to have it.

The first gens ARE faster, but are rather square and ugly compared to second gens. the ride is smooth and tight, YES you feel every bump, but not like someone is hitting your butt with a hammer... you can feel the road contours well.

Review Date: 14th July, 2003