2010 Ford Ranger Reviews

2010 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0L from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic
Previous carFord Windstar

Summary:

Great little truck

Nothing - really! Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with this vehicle so far.

General Comments:

It has been a great vehicle. Gas mileage is poor for the size of the truck, but the 4.0L engine really hauls! No trouble moving into heavy traffic.

The 2 wheel drive is a bit challenging on icy roads in Canada, but the traction control, anti skid and stability control really help.

The cab is small and the rear seat is a joke. Only a small child or a very small adult could sit in the jump seats. There is not a lot of headroom, but leg room with the seat extended is good.

Sound system is awesome.

Handling is good. The suspension is very stiff, and will washboard over rough roads, but I would rather it be stiff than soft.

Review Date: 1st December, 2012

2010 Ford Ranger Base 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carDodge Ram

Summary:

Great gas mpg

Nothing - brand new.

General Comments:

So far it is great. There is a lot of road noise, but I bought this truck for the gas mileage, which is 28 mpg. It does everything I need it to do. My Dodge Ram was terrible; it got 14 mpg.

I bought the regular cab, and I am 6 foot 4. I am kinda cramped, but it is fine.

I do like the truck; I am in it a lot. I drive 30 miles to work.

The truck has the 4 cylinder engine, but does fine in the highway. I will update this review at every oil change.

Review Date: 12th September, 2010

24th Sep 2010, 14:03

Took a 500 mile road trip; got 29MPG. What a great product.

25th Sep 2010, 10:46

I really hated to see that Ford will be dropping the Ranger. I've owned 4 and all were really awesome. Now we have no small trucks at all available in the U.S. that can match the Ranger's rugged reliability. Our family company has used Rangers as service vehicles for years. Now I guess the only option will be the Ford Transit Connect vans or the V-6 F-150.

3rd Nov 2010, 23:47

Knowing that Ford will discontinue the Ranger almost makes me cry. :(

Always had Rangers, and before the Rangers had a 1979 Courier. And all of them were 4cyl, manual. The 1979 was the most reliable. :) That's because there was nothing there to break. Didn't even have power steering.

The Ranger was the best domestic small pickup. Period.

28th Dec 2010, 09:14

There will be a replacement for the Ranger, and it looks like a cross between a Tacoma and an Explorer Sport, although as of now (Dec. 2010) it's not certain North America will get it. Ford is developing an F-100 truck based off the F-150 which will be significantly larger than the Ranger Europe would get. Ford doesn't believe Americans want small compact trucks anymore (or if our fat arses can fit in them either), so we have to deal with giant gas hogs, or pay up the nose for new technology like Ecoboost, which saves us only about 5-10% in fuel, but costs $5000 more than the base V8. Pretty stupid economics isn't it.

I think I'll keep my 98 S-10 4.3 and look for a gently used Ranger 4 banger with a manual.

9th Mar 2011, 03:26

In the cold weather it is hard to shift gears until it warms up. I have a manuel transmission. I am the original poster.

The truck has 8000 miles on it now.

14th Sep 2011, 23:11

Sounds like it could be too thick of an oil for the temperatures you drive in. When it comes time to change the transmission oil in the Ranger, choose a lower viscosity. You will have easier shifts.

27th Sep 2011, 03:35

I have 2010 2.5 ltr 4 cyl Ranger. 1 owner now with 60000km and still goes strong. On the original tyres. Be-ute.

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 3.0L turbo diesel Manual
Previous carToyota Hi-lux

Summary:

Excellent ute - not a good dealer

12v sockets keep breaking - apparently it's due to the size of my car charger - funnily enough it's a standard size.

Brake booster stuffed at 5000km. Not good when you drive 200+ kms on an average day.

General Comments:

Love it. Much better than my old Hi-lux (although it was a non-turbo 2003 model).

The ranger is very comfortable to drive, has plenty of power when needed, and is surprisingly economical. It doesn't seem as good as the Hi-lux off road (but this may be due to the fact that the Hi-lux just never stopped going!).

Much more plastic on this car than the old Hi-lux - so have to be a bit more careful.

But I do enjoy going more than 40km/hr uphill.

Dealer is a shocker. It seems to be in there every other week getting something touched up, adjusted or tightened. On the plus side, they do wash it for me :)

Overall I'm happy with the car. It seems to have a few bugs to work out.

Oddly enough, they leave all the controls for the CD stacker with the car, even if one isn't attached - the buttons just don't work.

There are a few little improvements they could make. Next year could be better.

Review Date: 27th April, 2010