1989 Ford Telstar GL 2.0L 4 cylinder from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Plan-your-day-in-advance rustbucket

I lived in a hilly area when I had the Telstar, and it would need at least 10-15 minutes warm up time to make it up the driveway; unreliable if in a hurry.

Odometer tampered with; make sure the numbers are perfectly aligned before considering.

Alternator exploded; fragments almost punctured the radiator and hoses.

3 speed auto gave me 460km out of a full 55L tank on 4 separate occasions; get a manual transmission if available.

Had to remove a lot of rust.

Plastic interior turns to grainy sand composition over time.

No power whatsoever; a TX5 is a better alternative.

Whenever I left the Telstar unattended, people would attempt to pick the lock with teaspoons, so I accumulated a vast collection of 20 or so spoons in first 2 months of owning, so visually the locks look flimsy I guess?

General Comments:

Pros:

Surprisingly comfortable and spacious for such a small car.

No rattles, leaks or noises around city and freeway.

You will become very proficient at rust removal :)

Review Date: 15th May, 2012

1989 Ford Telstar TX5 2.0 DOHC fuel injection from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Brilliant car

Head gasket blew due to thermostat and faulty TCS, due to a lack of maintenance - one of those things I didn't know a lot about then, and found out the hard way - no thermostats in my car ever again!

Besides this, there were a few other little maintenance issues - since been resolved.

General Comments:

Great car overall. Spent more time and money than I should have fixing it up, but then again, I don't ever regret it and would do it again if I had to.

I learned a lot by DIY, and now it's the best car I have ever owned.

It's quick and powerful, yet economical for a car this size.

Sport/bucket seats very comfortable; spacious interior.

Handles confidently even on the tightest corner.

Still looks like a supermodel 20 years on.

Review Date: 5th September, 2007

26th Dec 2009, 20:43

Still own this car to this day. Best advice I can give is to keep on top of servicing. I service this car every 10,000ks. It gets a cooling system flush every 2 years. As long as it has good oil and coolant, you really can't go wrong.