2002 Ford Transit Reviews

Model year2002
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0L turbo diesel Manual
Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

OK

Gear box won't go in third gear easily, and once warm won't go into gear at all. Finding it hard to get it fixed & find out what the problem is..

General Comments:

Drives well. But can't go too far, as when warm, it won't go into gear.

Review Date: 24th May, 2010

2002 Ford Transit 350 LWB Hi Top 2.4 TD 125hp from UK and Ireland

Model year2002
Engine and transmission 2.4 TD 125hp Manual
Previous carMercedes-Benz 407D

Summary:

Poor

3 x sets wheel bearings.

2 x central locking modules.

Battery (after 2 months).

Vacuum pump on engine causing a large oil leak and power steering and brake failure!

Intermittent cold start problems, causing the engine to cut out when cold (never cured).

2 x clutches.

Noisy back axle.

General Comments:

Neither the dealer, or subsequent independent garages have been able to cure the stalling problems, which have been there almost from new. I get the standard answer whenever it goes in for servicing that "It should be fine now". It never is.

This van has cost me a fortune in repairs. The faults list above is not exhaustive, but I cannot remember the rest at the moment. Whenever I call the garage, they seen to say that "it is a common fault on these Transits", whatever I am calling about!

I bought a Transit because I expected reliability and relatively cheap running costs, but I was wrong. I have only kept it so long because whenever I spend a lot of money on it, I think it will be OK for a while. Now I am told the back axle is noisy and may need seeing to in the near future. I am cutting my losses and probably replacing it with a Fiat Ducato or similar, which I also have on my fleet and has given me little to worry about in 60000 miles.

Review Date: 27th April, 2007

15th Jan 2009, 11:45

Rear axle, 600 scrap, big job as well.

Normal comps, 100 new, easy job.

2002 Ford Transit Ice Cream Van/Truck 2L turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2L turbo diesel Semi-Automatic
Most recent distance22000 miles
Previous carBedford Bedford CF

Summary:

Crap

General Comments:

Thinking of buying a new ice cream van? Then visit the worlds leading specialist vehicle builder here. Satisfaction guaranteed.

But don't automatically buy a Ford Transit; consider having your investment built on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.

The Ford Transit I have is the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever driven; the driver's seat has given me back problems. Ford's "customer care" is non existent, and the Customer Relationship Centre is a farce. After almost 12 months Ford still have not fixed the problem, and I doubt they are bothered either. The so called "Backbone of Britain" is damaging my backbone. I certainly would never ever recommend a Ford to anyone.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2003