1993 GMC S-15 SLE 4.3 Vortec from North America

The worst purchase I ever made

First let me say this truck has been perfectly maintained. Synthetic fluids since new. During the warranty period it was at the dealer 22 times beginning the first week I bought it.

Rear springs came apart

3 Water pumps

3 sets of motor mounts

5 Fan clutches

Doors are sagging

2 of the vacuum motors for the vents have broken off their mounts and can't be fixed without replacing the whole dash.

The paint only lasted 2 years.

2 recalls on the ABS that have made the brakes even scarier and caused an accident.

The engine failed at 86k miles.

General Comments:

I've used 4 GMC dealers in Seattle and 2 in Vegas and they were all horrible. It usually took 2 trips in to get a problem fixed and sometimes I had to take the truck back because the mechanic broke something. As soon I can get it painted I'm trading it for a Nissan. The only good thing I can say is that the seats are very comfortable and it's a champ for towing.

Review Date: 27th May, 2005

4th Feb 2006, 11:37

And GM wonders why their company is in trouble?? I'm sorry about your experience in owning a Gm sir. I owned a GM and it was poorly made. I bought a Nissan in 1999 and it has been a great vehicle. Frankly, with today's costs for repairs, one just can't afford to own a GM. Some people get a good one, but a lot of folks get lemons. It's too risky with as much as cars cost. Once you go foreign, I doubt you'll be back to GM. Good luck to you!

21st Mar 2006, 00:58

I must be lucky according to the comment above because I own 2 GM vehicles and they have both been very reliable to me. I've had my cavalier for 4 years now and have put it through hell! I think Chevy is right when they used to say "like a rock" because it is solid. I just have one more question for the person who started this review. Would you ever trade your gm back for your ford ranger?

1993 GMC S-15 SLS 2.8 tbi from North America

A basic maintenance joyful truck that runs very weel

First, my clutch went bad.

Second, the heater core blew and threw antifreeze all through the truck.

The exhaust is shot, but I am in the process of putting dual exhaust on it.

I just replaced the plugs and wires.

Now the timing cover gasket needs replaced along with the o ring on the distributor.

The rear main seal went out right after I got the truck.

There is a lot of rust and it is clearly visible.

General Comments:

Not a bad truck, but can be costly.

Review Date: 13th August, 2003