1998 GMC Safari from North America
I love them and I hate them
Owned 2 Astros and 2 Safaris - A love/hate relationship. By running the first model to death over 200k, I learned with future ones that they all have had similar problems around the same time or mileage. I bought them all used and ran them all till they died. I would buy one again.
1. Front brakes wear out fast. Have to change them pretty much once a year.
2. Power windows get stuck - getting drive thru food is embarrassing.
3. Wiper motors die. Of course you don't know till it's raining/snowing.
4. Electronic locks stopped locking all doors. Side left unlocked.
5. Never had one where the A/C worked - never fixed it.
6. Front tires wear out - not blaming GM - maybe they don't make tires like they used to.
7. THE BIGGEST ISSUE. I have replaced the fan motor (heat) twice in my recent 1998 Safari and once in each of the other models. Of course it happens when it is 20 degrees out.
8. Idler arms of course.
9. Stabilizer bars are broken I'm told on current one (98 Safari).
10. Paint flaking.
11. Rust - expected - but with the current one more so than others.
12. Rear water leak around the latches at the top, leaking into the back (double door - lift window rear type).
13. Door locks - key won't work.
14. A few other things I can't think of right now.
I love them and I hate them. I would buy another and wish they still made them. I buy them used and run them till I give up on repairing and have them towed away. Usually around 200k. My current one is falling 50k short. Maybe it was built on a Monday.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 4th October, 2014