1996 GMC Sierra Review

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 6.5L turbo diesel Automatic
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

Lemon

- 4 injection pumps

- transmission ($3k or so to fix)

- power steering pump

- various front end components (ball joint, steering linkage)

- front brake cylinder

- transfer case 4wd sending switch

- front hub 4wd engagement solenoid.

General Comments:

This is a beautiful looking truck. It's a 1 ton crew cab with all the options. Very nice to drive, very smooth for a 1 ton. However, it eats parts and $$ like there's no tomorrow. I'm never going to own another vehicle that is newer than 1992.

The electronic injection pump on this truck failed 3 times in 100,000km. Luckily it was under an extended warranty until 190,000kms. The last one only made it about 12,000kms.

The 4l80e transmission is supposed to be good, but I guess by "good" they mean expensive and manages to make it 180,000kms. Not good in my book.

If it was just a few things it wouldn't be too bad, but every time I touch the thing something fails. I'm afraid to drive it!

In short I'm very unimpressed. We also have a Toyota Corolla with 390,000kms on it that has had 1/10th the amount of work done to it.

Review Date: 17th October, 2006

1st Jun 2009, 01:59

Well the 6.5 liter engine was probably the worst engine GM put out. Or the worst diesel engine in general. I own a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins turbo diesel. This truck has just rolled 400k and still runs as good as new. And I work the heck out of it, but maintain it religiously as you should with any vehicle.

I have a friend who once owned a 1995 Ram Cummins that had over 700k on the original motor, and still ran great. If you want a real diesel truck, then you definitely can't go wrong with a Cummins.

Average review marks: 5.4 / 10, based on 1 review