1996 GMC Sonoma Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab 2.2 liter 4 cylinder 5 speed from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 2.2 liter 4 cylinder 5 speed Manual
Distance when acquired19000 miles
Most recent distance52000 miles
Previous carIsuzu I-Mark

Summary:

This pickup is an under powered dog

Head gasket leaked anti-freeze (repaired under warranty).

Left side of the driver's seat starting to wear at the back (feels like part of the bracket underneath).

General Comments:

This engine is way under powered for this pickup (my mistake, should have bought a V6).

Major pain to replace the flasher modules (remove most of the dash).

Generally good service around town or light hauling. Painfully bad performance on the highway. Forget the A/C in any incline. Get going down hill if you want to pass anyone.

Review Date: 24th July, 2001

29th Mar 2007, 15:48

You're not giving the Sonoma the credit it deserves for the type of truck it is. If you want power, then get a sports car. It's a truck, it SUPPOSED to be slow. Not that I don't care for speed, though. I used to have a 1998 white V6 Camaro Coupe and I hated it because I wished I would've gotten an 8-cylinder Sports Car instead. And I would rather have an 8-cylinder Sports Car with that performance rather than a slow pick-up truck.

But I still like it for the time being. I just like you have a 1996 GMC Sonoma with a 2.2 4-cylinder engine. Yes, it's slow, it hey, it's got that extended cab for extra room and more room in the flatbed than what a Cevy S10 has. The Sonoma's flatbed is about 3 or 4 inches longer. And look at its good gas mileage with a good tune-up. It's a little better than what the V6 model has.

1996 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carBuick Century

Summary:

Decent transportation, nothing more, nothing less

Driver's side seat is wearing out.

Anti-freeze was found leaking in engine on 10/08/00. It was fixed under warranty.

Needed back brake shoes and pads at 33,000 miles.

General Comments:

Overall it is not a bad truck, but the engine is too sluggish on the freeway.

The air conditioning is not as cold as I would like it.

The factory radio had very poor sound quality. I replaced it with an Alpine system.

I think I will buy either a Mercury Grand Marquis or Buick LeSaber next.

Review Date: 1st June, 2001

31st Jul 2001, 16:14

The reason your A/C isn't cold enough is mostly likely that you have R-134A Freon which isn't as cold as R-12 Freon. R-12 is bad for the ozone so the goverment taxes to the point where it costs 100 dollars for a pound of R-12 where as R-134A is less bad for the ozone so it only costs around 5 bucks per pound.

1996 GMC Sonoma 2 wd 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carPlymouth Voyage

Summary:

Too many repairs

U-joints, 2 ball joints, A/C compressor, turn signal component, windshield wiper motor, brakes.

General Comments:

Very concerned on having 2 ball joints break within 6 months of each other, could have been a deadly accident.

Like the feel of the truck, but consider it dangerous.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2001

19th Mar 2004, 09:26

I agree completely and have even more horror stories.

I have fixed everything in my 8 years of ownership and keep getting sucked in believing "well, I might as well keep it" because there are so many new parts. I'd never get another one.

21st Oct 2007, 23:18

I also had a U-joint problem, producing a heavy drag and finally costing me $177 to repair.

1996 GMC Sonoma 2WD SLS 2.2 4 Cyl from North America