2004 GMC Yukon Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2014
Engine and transmission 6.0L Automatic
Previous carToyota Hiace

Summary:

Beautiful truck with power and speed, let down by some very serious quality issues

There are the usual head lamps, tail lamps, battery, and alarm that may happen to any car manufacturer, that have failed me.

Then we have the infamous air-compressor to the back shock absorbers that failed twice in 3 years.

The Body Control Module (BCM) was replaced.

Finally, the warning lamp telling me to check the fuel cap and then the engine light went on. Former owner replaced evap and I replaced fuel cap, and the problem was not solved by the dealer.

Experienced the radio not working, and some strange electrical problems that were resolved with the purchase of a new battery.

General Comments:

I knew the car would have some faults, but not so many with the low mileage and it having been garage kept for many years.

I do love the looks, ride, and power that the GMC delivers, but not at the price of frequent dealership visits.

I will miss this car, but my wallet will not. The last owner sold it at a good price and I was forced to do the same just to get rid of it.

Review Date: 4th February, 2014

2004 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3 from North America

Previous carGMC Envoy

Summary:

If you have some extra money sitting around for possible repairs, then a Yukon is a good choice

First the transmission is slow to change when driving at a slow speed.

Today, I was backing from a drive and when I cut the card to the left, I heard a huge pop and what appeared to be a vacuum/air noise.

It has been diagnosed that the power steering pump is out causing the brakes and the power steering not to work. The shaft... of some sort is also broken.

I'm waiting now for the dreaded phone call on how much this repair is going to be. I hope I don't have to park my Yukon in the garage until a brighter day.

General Comments:

I love my Yukon, but it has definitely not been worth what I paid for it. They really took me to the cleaners.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2009

13th Mar 2010, 17:38

I have a 2004 Denali. One problem; speedo went out during warranty...otherwise gas, oil, window cleaner, soap, water, tires, K&N air filter, wiper blades, insurance, registration. It's been good.

2004 GMC Yukon 2500 SLE 8.1 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Suburban

Summary:

Great power and luxury - wish gas was cheaper

Nothing has gone wrong with the SUV yet. There is a pulley making noise though, and I can't figure out how to keep the rear hatch from locking every time I go into reverse, never unlocks after that.

General Comments:

Very nice rig, totally loaded up. I had a 2001 Suburban before, but it had the dreaded "piston slap" problem and ticked when it ran. That got old, plus it was 2 wheel drive. This GM Yukon XL is a 4WD and has the monster 8.1 L engine. I must admit, it really does have great power, and that comes in handy when passing on the highway. I have pulled my 8000lb. trailer with it, and it pulls it almost effortlessly. It really is a nice solid rig, however, I do have issues with a couple things. Compared to my '01 Suburban... GM kept the high price of these things, but cheapened the carpet, it's like thinned out industrial grade. They eliminated the courtesy lights under the dash and in the rear doors that come on when you get in or out. They even took away the glove box light. What the..?? Why take that stuff away? Those things were actually useful. The seats don't seem to be as comfortable as the '01 models either. They seem smaller, more stout. Other than that, it's a great rig, quiet and roomy. Due to the price of gas, I'm sure it will stay "like new" for many years to come.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2007

2004 GMC Yukon SLX 5.3L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.3L V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Great design, but poor engineering & manufacturing!

Front suspension noises (rattles, clunking sounds) GM has not been able/willing to fix.

A/C problems air quits blowing out of passenger side & rear vents. Dealer replaces actuator and this fixes the problem for a while and then comes back.

A/C controls default to 'defrost' & 'max A/C' will not stay on. Dealer says this is how system was designed.

Third row seat hinge locks are cheaply build and break. I have had truck in twice to replace. They are made out of what looks to be a cheap aluminum alloy which cracks from the stress.

General Comments:

I love the way the truck drives. It has good acceleration and handles well for a big vehicle. The interior comfort is great, seats are excellent and the kids love the DVD in the back.

But, GM really misses the mark with reliability and dealer service. I hate to say it, but I will probably buy a foreign car (probably Japanese) when we replace our next car (Ford Explorer) in 2008. Maybe we will get another Explorer, but I will not be buying anymore GM products.

Review Date: 26th September, 2007