1992 Holden Barina Reviews

Year of manufacture1992
Distance when acquired92000 kilometres
Most recent distance120000 kilometres
Previous carNissan Pulsar

Summary:

Fantastic reliable, economical hatch

Seatbelt latch on driver side faulty.

Door lock on driver side faulty.

Steering a little light with a tendency to under-steer on hard cornering.

Engine noise a little high due to noisy camshaft.

General Comments:

Very economical about 6lt/100km.

Very reliable.

Gutsy motor for a 1.3lt, quite good acceleration even with 4 adults in the car.

Cabin is reasonable size for a 3 door hatchback..

Sports seats in the front are fantastic for fit and comfort.

Overall a great car for the money paid and would gladly buy another.

Review Date: 10th September, 2004

1992 Holden Barina MH 1.3 carburetted petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1992
Engine and transmission 1.3 carburetted petrol

Needs petrol once every few weeks.

General Comments:

Great little car that runs on the smell of an oily rag, and is great fun to drive in 5 spd form.

Review Date: 14th February, 1999

12th May 2001, 01:30

I have an example of the MH Barina that is 9 years old and still runs and looks as good as day one. They are a fantastic run about with very few mechanical repairs required in that time.

10th Jun 2001, 00:33

I am 16 years old and am considering purchasing a Holden Barina 1992 for my first car. I think that they look good and because they only have a 1.3 litre motor they would be cheap to run. How much fuel do they use per 100 kms?

13th Jun 2001, 01:32

I have a 1988 Holden Barina and it costs $10 per 100km. Very cheap and reliable car.

Highly Recommend.

25th Jul 2001, 08:08

I am looking at getting a Holden Barina GSi, what do you think about these cars?

8th Dec 2002, 23:44

I have been meaning to get rid of my MH Barina for years, but it has been faultless mechanically and consumes little fuel. Cost of parts can be high, e.g.: AUD120 for a replacement antenna, so find your local Suzuki wrecker for non-critical replacement parts. Suzuki dealers do a service for less than Holden dealers. My wife's former Barina had a quarter head-on collision with a Falcon taxi - the Falcon suffered greater damage... Fun to drive in five speed form.

14th Jun 2004, 21:36

I own a 1990 HM which I have driven for about a year now. Nothing went wrong with it at all until I got it serviced (which was rather expensive at $900: belts, oil change, etc.) Now the water pump is leaking and the belts are slipping. Probably not the car's fault, but we'll never know. I get about 10km to the litre, which is very good in my opinion. Its performance leaves much to be desired.