1969 Holden Kingswood Reviews

1969 Holden Kingswood HT 186 (2 speed Powerglide) from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1969
First year of ownership1990
Most recent year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 186 (2 speed Powerglide) Automatic
Previous carFord Falcon

Summary:

An Aussie Brick with Wheels - A Solid and Reliable Car

When I first got this great Australian car I immediately noticed two problems; the brake pedal (all four drum brakes) was hard to push down and, as a result, the brakes didn't really stop the car well - I never got this fixed, however, so the problem was not that major. The second problem was with the transmission, a unique/rare two speed automatic, which needed to warm-up before actually being able to change to second gear. In the morning I would have to drive the car about three kilometers before the second gear would engage - top speed in first was around 50 km/h. Again, I never got this fixed as it didn't bother me that much.

Apart from these problems, all others were basic maintenance issues: reco-carburetor $60, new battery, new radiator hose, plugs and points (I serviced it myself - 186 engine is very easy to work on)...etc.

General Comments:

This was a great car and I would highly recommend it to anyone on a budget - fuel and purchase costs. Given their age now I would go for one that's been restored or very well looked after. The 186 engine is all you need for basic driving, excellent mileage and reliability.

The one feature I most admired, and indulged in, was the bucket seat... great for drive-in movies!

Review Date: 13th December, 2005

1969 Holden Kingswood HT 4.2 from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1969
Most recent distance102000 miles
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

This car is a lady-killer!

After a trip from Hamburg to Berlin on the "German Autobahn" my gasoline-pump got a big hole. To got the car fixed it took me more than a month because of getting the right parts from down under.

General Comments:

There's just one small piece of rust at the driverseat door.

It's definitive an old car, but old cars they have there own character. This car is like a girl.

Review Date: 16th September, 2005

17th Sep 2005, 01:10

“This car is a lady-killer!”

Strangely enough, Ted Kennedy had a `68 Olds just like yours.

1969 Holden Kingswood HT Wagon 186 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 186 Manual
Previous carHolden HT Monaro

Summary:

A beautiful New Zealand assembled Australian classic

Absolutely nothing so far. A faultless journey of over 100km from the home of the previous owner.

General Comments:

The general condition is outstanding. On removing the interior door and tailgate trims, I found the car to be as it was when assembled.

The engine is 'tight', flexible and quiet.

Review Date: 6th May, 2001

28th Jun 2002, 18:23

My father owned a similar HT Kingswood from 1970 to 1975. I can still remember this particular vehicle as it was very much like the one described and I have so many fond memories of its styling and its appearance. This is one vehicle I could never forget.

8th Sep 2002, 23:43

I have had three hk's and a hg. They are the best and cheapest car to run.

3rd Jun 2003, 01:46

We have recently inherited my Grandmothers Holden Kingswood. Considering it is 35 years old it still runs really well-it still has the original engine and is very quiet. It is unbelievable that a car can last that long and still be in such good condition. They are built like a tank!

22nd Aug 2004, 07:51

I love my mum and my HG.

18th Sep 2004, 09:16

Best car I ever had, great memories, drove all around australia for one year. easy to repair plenty of spare parts from the wreckers, I wish I still had one!!