1976 Honda Accord Reviews

1976 Honda Accord CVCC or no desig 1.6 from North America

Year of manufacture1976
First year of ownership1977
Previous carDodge Van

Summary:

A ray of innovative sunshine in a world planned obsolescence

Early on, Honda sent out a recall for the head gasket; it was replaced by dealer.

Have replaced water pump 5 times.

Door seals began deteriorating within a few years to the point that water dripped in from top of windows during washing or heavy rain.

Original CV joint boots failed within 2 years, letting the grease inside escape. I let it go too long and wore the joints out.

Have replaced the starter motor 3 times.

General Comments:

As my first Honda of the 4-wheel variety, it has been great a introduction to the quality of this manufacturer, and still sits proudly next to my '89 Acura.

I've done most of the major work myself over the years, and unlike my Acura and later cars, I can still get at its very basic engine to work on it.

I've always driven it hard and put it away wet, and to this day continues to be a fun car to drive, as well as quite a rare sight on the road these days - a tribute to the Honda corporation.

Review Date: 4th March, 2004

1976 Honda Accord 2 door hatch CVCC 4 cylinder. from North America

Year of manufacture1976
First year of ownership1976
Engine and transmission CVCC 4 cylinder. Manual
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Excellent car all around that's still going strong today

Absolutely nothing. Just gave it to my grandson (who loves it so far) after 27 trouble free years with this car. Bought an 03 accord last fall, and so far have 10000 miles on it (My wife & I do a lot of traveling. We spend most of our retirement time vacationing all over the country). So far that one has been just as trouble free. Routine maintenance is all that ever had to be done with my 76. I will say this though, many of them had problems with rusting out bodies. The only reason mine stayed decent was because I have a climate controlled garage to keep it in.

General Comments:

Though it was mostly highway miles, I am very surprised at the way this car held up. My 72 civic was a good car, but was a little too small for my needs, but the Accord was just right. However, since the accord didn't come out until 1976, the civic was pretty much my only choice for a Honda in 72. The CVCC 4 cylinder (basically what the VTEC was in the 70s, of course with a lot less technology in it than the VTEC of today) was a good engine on the highway, & around town. Acceleration was adequate, but good fuel economy & reliability more than made up for that fault.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2003