2011 Honda Accord DTEC Type S 2.2 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very nice

DPF light on, would not go out after many attempts at a "re-gen"; replacement at nearly £1000 !!

Usual consumables - brakes, suspension parts, etc.

I keep the car serviced on time by a reputable local garage at reasonable cost, though some parts have been expensive. Cosmetically no rust or marks, very good for a car at 10 years old now. I wash and wax it regularly. Interior leather has seen better days though and is tearing on the driver's bolster right side, but this is typical of leather at this age and mileage.

General Comments:

The modern Accord in the UK is a very nice car. My Type S model has nearly 180 BHP and is very fast for a diesel, I love driving this car. Only downside is it really struggles to get 50 miles per gallon, which for a modern diesel is poor, but with the performance it is well worth it.

Outside mine is steel silver and looks the part with the original alloy wheels. Inside the black leather interior is very comfortable and stunning to look at; feels fresh even after all this time. I hate the climate and radio controls however - big stupid buttons in the center console muddled with smaller buttons; very un-intuitive, but this is common of most cars from 2005 onwards.

Very fun to drive. The 2.2 diesel is a belter, gearbox feels smooth. Not normally a car to get excited about, but it is a very composed automobile for a family/executive saloon. If I'm being really picky, the handling does not quite give the feedback you would always like, but I don't always drive fast, I like cruising in it on motorways and country roads. The Type S with the more powerful engines is definitely the one to go for.

The car has all the modern electronic items you would expect, though the sat nav is very outdated, but easy to update. Overall I would recommend this car, they are a little expensive to buy, and the repairs can get very expensive, but again this is typical of modern diesels with their DPF's, injectors, and so on. Buy a looked after example and enjoy it as something a little different from your Ford Mondeo or Vauxhall Insignia or whatever.

Review Date: 13th October, 2021

2011 Honda Accord EX V6 from North America

Summary:

Umm, exactly where is that Honda reliability?

Fuel pump had to be replaced at 21,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

Engine makes a loud knocking sound if started below 40 degrees. Dealer cannot find the problem, which goes away after about 5 minutes.

Leather seats appear soft and high-quality, but quickly wore down into something indistinguishable from shiny vinyl.

Paint rapidly wearing off the door panels and shifter.

Car hesitates badly between gears under normal acceleration. This began at about 30,000 miles, and the dealer says it is "normal."

ECM (computer) replaced at 23,000 miles after the car broke down near my home. Warranty covered repair.

Paint bubbling around rear window trim, and bumpers beginning to oxidize, despite regular waxing. Again, dealer says this is "within normal parameters."

Entire anti-lock braking system (ABS) replaced at 33,000 miles. Dealer fixed under warranty, and said this is very common.

Engine uses about 1-2 quarts of oil per month. All scheduled maintenance has been performed, and dealer says this is normal for Honda V6's (!).

Several annoying rattles/squeaks from the dash. Not a really big deal, but annoying.

General Comments:

As soon as I can get this thing fully repaired and able to drive normally for a few miles, I'm going to sell it. I took a lot of ribbing for buying the "ultimate Mommy-mobile," but I really liked the Accord at first. It's really been a damn shame, because I researched for a while, and really believed this would be a good car. If not for the warranty, I would have spent in excess of $10,000 on repairs.

On a positive note, the stereo is excellent and the seats are pretty comfortable. It handles like it's on rails.

I think the turning point came, when I broke down on the side of the road a mile from my house in this brand-new car, for which I'm paying a substantial payment, at under 30,000 miles. I will never buy another Accord.

Review Date: 18th June, 2012

19th Jun 2012, 19:47

I would go to another dealer especially after you got the BS response "within normal parameters."

Furthermore, when you replace this with a better car - I would stop by the dealership and let them know what you really think of their shoddy product & shoddy service.

I'm not against imports by any means, but I would never buy a Honda after seeing so many horror stories (not saying Toyota's are any better either).

What happened to the quality that these cars exuded 10 years ago?

2011 Honda Accord Crosstour 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Honda needs to revamp this model

Seats are starting to wear badly.

2WD models pull to the left when taking off fast.

2WD models handle horribly in the snow.

Bad gas mileage.

When the heat is turned on, a burning smell is often noticed.

Oil changes for Honda Crosstours cost $100.00.

Rear visibility is very poor.

Review Date: 30th April, 2012

26th Jul 2012, 14:03

The reason the car is pulling to the left under acceleration is something called torque steer. All front wheel drive cars have some of this when you try to take off in them. The drive shaft is not connected at a point that is equally spaced between the two front (drive) wheels.

This is why sports car drivers prefer rear wheel drive on their cars. No torque steer, because the drive shaft is connected to the rear axle at an equal point between the rear drive wheels.

3rd Sep 2012, 02:24

I agree, just don't try to drive those rear wheel drives in January, in upstate NY, Mass, or the Poconos.