2013 Honda Civic ES-T 1.6 i-DTEC turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

You will not regret getting a new Civic 1.6 diesel

Nothing to date.

General Comments:

These are great cars. I have the 1.6 diesel and it is very nippy, but gets great economy; the best I've averaged so far in 11k miles is 77 MPG (based on brim to brim calculations); this was with 'super' diesel, which does seem to increase MPG. Typically it averages about 68 MPG (the trip computer often shows 80+ MPG) with regular diesel, but for some reason Shell diesel seems better for the economy.

It rides and handles well in 'real world' conditions, and the split rear window really isn't a problem; I'd even miss it as it cuts out headlight glare from cars behind.

The car is quiet and refined on journeys, despite what some magazines say, as the car has a very low drag coefficient, which really isolates you from the outside world with little to no wind noise, and muted tyre noise. The 1.6 diesel hardly loses any performance to the 2.2, but the much better economy and the free road tax is a bonus.

My only niggles are the driver's armrest on the door is not padded, so can get uncomfortable for the elbow on long journeys, and if I was being really picky, the seats could be a bit more comfortable on long journeys. Even though it has a useful reversing camera, there are no rear sensors on my model, which would be handy as it's difficult to know where the rear is when reversing.

I haven't visited the dealer yet, but will do so soon for its first 12.5k service; it is included in my lease deal, so should be free! The car has used no oil so far, which is unusual with new engines; it is now starting to loosen up nicely in fact.

The boot is excellent, the seats fold totally flat, and it's surprising what the under floor storage compartment will hold. I'd recommend at least the ES trim as you get everything you need such as dual zone climate etc. I have the optional T model, which adds sat nav, which is very easy to use. Of course if you have no need for sat nav, then the ES is the pick I'd say; the EX model will add leather, heated seats and reversing sensors.

In summary, a very easy car to live with and a pleasant place to while away long journeys, all in a car that is refreshingly different to the numerous Golfs and Focuses one sees everywhere.

Review Date: 27th August, 2014

2013 Honda Civic LX from North America

Summary:

Disappointing

The fan blower motor has a high pitched sound. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it; however they replaced it in a way that made the noise louder. Contacted Honda Canada and discovered that they were willing to do very little, and once you contact them, until the matter is resolved you MUST continue to speak with the initial service agent that took the call (mine was a person who was unwilling to listen and constantly talked over me... sorry, but it's true).

I wash my car weekly at the car wash and always have; however this car at 5 months is covered with scratch marks. None of the other Civics I owned had this problem. In my opinion this will be my last Honda. It was my first brand new Honda, and they have really disappointed this owner.

General Comments:

Car is peppy enough, and like most Hondas, it's good on gas. Beyond that, not much to say. Sorry Honda, loved you, but got to leave you now.

Review Date: 1st April, 2014

2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan 1.8L from North America

Summary:

Economy without excitement

None yet. It's a new vehicle

General Comments:

This car is very economical. It averages 36 MPG with about 80% highway and 20% in town driving. The information display indicated 37.6 MPG average, which is a bit optimistic.

Fit and finish are pretty good. The interior materials appear to be of good quality, and the interior looks good.

The exterior fit and finish on my car are OK, with the front bumper skin that is not quite aligned properly with the wheel arch. Not a show stopper...

Instrumentation and controls are well laid out and easy to reach. The Bluetooth works well, and having the back-up camera is great, since the rear view is partially obstructed by the rear seat head rests. I also enjoy the ability to plug in my MP3 player via USB port.

The front seats are OK as far as comfort. There is plenty of leg and head room. Rear seats are pretty roomy as long as the front seats are not adjusted all the way back. The rear seat folds down for additional cargo room.

Cabin noise on roads with coarse/rough pavement is pretty loud. Perhaps due to the inexpensive OEM tires that come with the car. On smooth roads, road noise is pretty well controlled and engine noise is minimal when compared to other vehicles I test drove.

The engine is quiet, but power delivery is not as smooth as I would like, especially when the "economy" mode is active. When in "economy" mode, the engine loses quite a bit of its already limited power and responsiveness. I guess that is the price paid for a few more MPG.

The transmission (gear ratio selection) is my greatest complaint so far. In my opinion, it's not geared well at all: The first 3 gears are very low (for quick acceleration off the line) but 4th and 5th seem too tall for the 1.8L 4 banger (1500 RPM at 45 MPH in 5th and about 2200 RPM at 70 MPH in 5th).

It is just barely OK if most of your driving is on fairly level country roads or level highways. If you drive on country roads or highways with moderate hills as I do, the car is constantly downshifting and upshifting, searching for the correct gear (which many times does not exist).

All in all, a pretty decent little car, but I wish the transmission gear selection was better suited to the 1.8L engine. If you want spirited driving with decent performance, choose a Civic with a manual transmission.

I hope that the transmission will hold up over the long haul, due to the extra stress put on it due to the low gearing.

Review Date: 20th September, 2013