1997 Honda CR-V Reviews - Page 2 of 4

First year of ownership2009
Previous carHonda CR-V

Nothing yet but tires.

General Comments:

This is the second one I've owned. The other was in an accident. I looked at other small SUVs this time around, to see if I would like anything else. Rav4s and Kias look like junk compared to my old CRV, so I bought another one, and am so glad I did. I love it!!! Again!!!

Review Date: 15th January, 2009

First year of ownership1997
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

The best vehicle I've ever owned.

New air conditioner fan replaced at 247k.

Driver's door lock at 280k.

General Comments:

Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned! That says it all.

Yesterday I watched the odometer roll over 300k.

Other than oil changes, timing belt changes, tire replacement and other standard maintenance items, the only 2 actual repairs were the air conditioning fan replacement and the driver door lock.

I have hauled landscaping materials, including trees, transported my kayak, driven rough roads, and saved myself a fortune in delivery charges by bringing beds, furniture and anything else I could squeeze in or on top, home.

I purchased this vehicle the first year it appeared in Canada, and it was one of the first sold in Vancouver. I was a bit apprehensive about buying a vehicle in the first year it was introduced; what if they didn't have all the "bugs" worked out yet? Well, I guess if you build a vehicle with no bugs... no problem!

My advice - keep up regular maintenance and it will last and last and last and...

Review Date: 15th July, 2006

8th May 2011, 08:11

I agree 100%, these are awesome vehicles. Mine has 309,000 and runs great. The other day I was kind of bragging to a guy about how many miles mine had, and it turns out his had 447,000 miles on it. These vehicles are unbelievable. The main thing on these engines is to keep valves adjusted every 25k, because they will actually tighten over time.

1997 Honda CR-V LX from North America

First year of ownership1999
Distance when acquired12000 kilometres
Previous carChrysler New Yorker

Summary:

Good in winter, but no good in general

ABS wheel sensors died within 10,000km of purchasing this vehicle.

Stabilizer bar bushings worn prematurely.

Rear left shock knocking within 20,000km.

Transmission slipping second gear after 50,000km.

Cruise control doesn't work after 32,000.

Ignition unlock switch replaced twice.

Electricals always having shorts in the brake lamps, sensors and door locks.

Engine knocking loudly at 110,000.

General Comments:

This car has received impeccable maintenance as well as routine checks at the dealer since new.

Terrible seating leads to back problems within a reasonable short distance.

Totally underpowered, I had an Acadian pass me one day and it picked up speed better than I could.

Electrical woes and sub-par quality make this model an undesirable unit.

Review Date: 14th March, 2006

28th Mar 2006, 20:22

In response to your article, you just had a lemon. Rarely do you ever hear of CR-Vs having any problems. I had a 1997 with ABS that had over 190,000 miles when it was stolen from me. Never a problem. It ran flawlessly from day one. I agree that the seats aren't the most comfortable and the CR-V needed a power boost, but I never had any problems and most mechanics will tell you that. They are generally bullet-proof. I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience and I know that Honda's customer service has a lot to be desired, but this truck is really an excellent truck. It's number one even in used car ratings. Try buying parts at a parts store. You usually have to order them. The shop owners will tell you that they never get request for CR-V parts. They are just that good. I'm not trying to change your mind about ever purchasing one. I'm just telling you that your experience is extremely rare. I wish you the best of luck in all your future car buying experiences. Take care.